The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 1999, 04:57 PM   #1
Hueco

You know, the one thing i know is that I know nothing. Blaise Pascal said this makes us noble. (a Philosophy nugget there) Now, I need some guidence. i have made the decision to step up to a .223 from the .22 mag. And since I have heard beaming reports of accuracy from the Savage boys, I am leaning toward that firm for my new rifle. I want to keep the purchase price (+the taxes and all) under $400. So what Savage .223 bolt-action would you recommend for me? I want to simply target shoot at >100yds. Not really going hunting with it ever. So a single shot is fine, or a clip-fed, or whatever. just let me know what rifle you think is good for me. Thanks guys.

Hueco
Merry Christmas
Old December 12, 1999, 04:59 PM   #2
Hueco

I just noticed that the way I phrased my subject put my foot into my mouth. Let me say it this way -- I need help from the people here who know what they are talkign about (people who aren't ME). Again...thanks!

Hueco
Old December 12, 1999, 06:34 PM   #3
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

You will want the most accurate rifle for the money even if you only want to shoot informal target. I would recommend you look around the gun shops or gun shows and look for a Rem. 700 used. Don't pass up a 222 if you see one as they will develop a little better accuracy than a 223. If you are going to take up handloading in the future then the advantage of the 223 cheap ammo goes away. Either way you can have a gun shop run a 223 reamer in a 222 and it will refresh the throat and you will get a lot of pleasure out of either caliber.
Old December 17, 1999, 01:24 AM   #4
dw

My dad just bought a used savage 10fp chambered in .223 with a harris bipod and a simons 3-9x30 scope on it for $340. the rifle is like new and my dad loves it.
my 2 cents
Old December 17, 1999, 01:55 AM   #5
deepforest27

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you have to spend mega-$$ on a rifle. That's BS. An expensive rifle is nothing more, IMHO, than bragging rights. Remember this, that it's the man behind the rifle, not the rifle. Savage makes a fine rifle, and I'm a customer, so I should know. Alot of my friends use Savage rifles and love them. Spending tons of money on a rifle is waste, pure and simple. Most people, and that is 99.9% of all shooters, don't need more than MOA accuracy in a rifle. If you are a sniper, competition shooter, or other vertical needs shooter then, yes, by all means spend the money. The gun rags and other sources in the industry are looking to make a buck from the ones who have to have the latest and greatest. Save your money. Buy a Savage. I think that once you have the lawyer-induced trigger pull dropped to a respectable 3 lbs., you will find that, with much practice, you can put the round where you want it without having to spend your birthright.
Old December 17, 1999, 02:23 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

No, it's, "Science enlightens, literature enriches, but art and art alone which enobles." Obviously, FWIW!

Cheap in money and poor in the pocketbook, I have never refrained from buying used in lieu of new. Check that the barrel and especially the muzzle is fine and off you go. My personal preference for factory rifle is Remington. Good shooting straight out of the box.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 17, 1999, 08:59 AM   #7
rec

Remington has the 700 in 700ADL 223 with the black synthetic stock for $359-$389 depending on the dealer you buy from. These were featured in Varmit magazine last issue and appear to be good. I have this rifle in 243 and it shots as well as my BDL Dm in the same caliber. Look around this is one of the best buys out there.
Old December 17, 1999, 12:29 PM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Oh - man! I hate to say this... but Ruger makes a couple good rifles. A #1 Falling Block. Single shot. Simple. I have seen used examples for about 300 if I remember rightly.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Old December 17, 1999, 01:24 PM   #9
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Dad has an addiction.. that addiction is varmint hunting.

Its led him to buy a NUMBER of new H&R single shot "handi rifles with bull barrels.

Its pretty easy to get a single shot 223 with a BADASS tasco sniper/target scope and mounts for under $350

Having said that dad had a LOT of problems with one of them, bad extraction, etc. And they can't handle pressure the way a bolt rifle can.

Savage made the 110fp as a cheap cop's sniper rifle.. and the varmint hunting crowd started buying them like crazy.. its TRUE the trigger on savage rifle are heavy, and need to be tuned but its a good way to get into the sport on a budget.

I haven't seen a remington rifle with a bull barrel for the same price as the savage but they are both really nice rifles.

For what its worth, my first elk rifle was a savage 30-06 i bought off my brother when he joined the navy, I hunted with it for 10 years or so and when he moved back here, I gave him back his rifle. I decided to buy a new rifle.. so I bought ANOTHER savage.

The brand isn't nearly as important as practicing.

have fun and welcome to the world of CENTERFIRE.

Dr.Rob

Old December 17, 1999, 04:34 PM   #10
Johnce

There seem to be good responses from a couple of differant people on this subject. Here's my two cents worth.

I own several differant rifles, two of them are .223's, one's a rem. 700 heavy barrel, the others a 12bvss savage. Both are good shooting rifles. And i'll admit the rem's have a better reputation than most, especially in after-market accesseries and ease in gunsmithing. But for an inexpensive rifle i'd have to give the savage the nod everytime.

You can buy a heavy barrelled savage (12fv) for under $400.00. while it may not be the prettiest rifle you've ever seen, I'd put it against most any out of the box rifle out there. the one I have shoots under .5" moa all day long, many groups below that. My remmington is a great shooter also, but its a coin toss which one will outshoot the other on any given day.

I've started hearing more and more lately about the savage rifles when it comes to accuracy. I really believe that the more people buy and shoot these that your going to start seeing alot more after market accesseries, possibly even some custom guns built around them.

either a used rem. or a savage and you'll be happy. as far as resale goes, who cares? buy either one and shoot the barrel out and put another one on. its a win win situation. good luck.
Old December 18, 1999, 12:46 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Even before the legal concerns came to the fore, the Savage triggers were heavy. They can be worked on (if you can find a gunsmith willing to work on triggers any more) but they can never be as good as most others. And, AFAIK, there is no after market trigger as there is for other guns; that mechanism is unique and hard to do anything with.

The trigger is Savage's major problem; if they ever resolve it, they will really have a winner.

Jim
Old December 18, 1999, 08:14 PM   #12
lilbro

Go with the rem 700 i just picked up a "sendero"in 25-06 for about the price your wanting to pay and its the best gun i've ever shot.but on the other hand this goes to "what is the perfect gun?"only you can awnser that!
i still prefer the 700"my perfect gun"
Old December 18, 1999, 11:42 PM   #13
Albert

Gents,

Always refer to Brownells...
page 102 has a trigger for the Savage.
About $75.00

The Savage is a fine out of box shooter. Actually have one waiting for me at my local gun shop in .223 Rem. What I haven't deciced on is a scope for it...
Thanks,
Albert