The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 29, 2002, 11:05 PM   #1
Glamdring

Handgun for hiking in Jurassic Park?

Should I go with the SW 317 because it is light wt and I can run faster? Or with a 500 Linbaugh?
Old September 29, 2002, 11:09 PM   #2
PsychoSword

Magnum Research 45/70 revolver. Just remember to save the last bullet for yourself.
Old September 29, 2002, 11:19 PM   #3
Justin

Hiking in Jurassic Park, and you're only taking a handgun?
Are you nuts?
Short answer, limited to 1 handgun: Something chambered in 10mm or .45 SMC.

Long answer:

A 4-bore double rifle for traipsing across the fields.
Backed up with a 12-guage Remington 1100.
Backed up by a friend on a jeep with Ma Deuce.

For moving in the jungle...
Something chambered in .50 Beowulf.
Backed up with a submachinegun of some sort. Preferably shooting lots of bullets that go really fast. (Think a HK UMP chambered in 7.62x25mm with a 50 round magazine, and you're thinking in the right direction.)
That would be backed up with some sort of shotgun, mayhaps a PanCor Jackhammer (hey, if you can dream about hiking in JP, I can dream about having a Pancor Jackhammer, bub! )
The PanCor would be backed up by a handgun, 10mm or .45 SMC of some sort. The pistol rounds would be loaded hot 'n' spicy.
All of which would be backed up with a really big, shiny, and sharp knife.

And I would take some friends, as well as hiring someone to tote my gun buffet.
This would only be undertaken after learning how to go through the woods without being eaten.
Old September 29, 2002, 11:30 PM   #4
Neal in GA

I wouldn't be carrying a handgun for primary use, but I think a .500 Linebaugh would be the perfect backup. I think I'd want something beltfed in at least .30 cal (AP rounds of course). M240 maybe?
Old September 29, 2002, 11:36 PM   #5
Zundfolge

Just a handgun? suicide!

Handgun: Delta Elite 10mm loaded with depleted uranium rounds (what ... like depleted uranium handgun loads are any less unrealistic then dinosaurs made in a lab running amok?).

Rifle: FN-249 SAW loaded with 200 round box of 5.56x45 armor piercing (and an extra 200 round box or two in my pack).
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old September 29, 2002, 11:54 PM   #6
yorec

The Compy gun...

Of course the handgun would only be a backup for your real defensive weapon. Something with major boom power...

But there are some little vicious little things in the park that would need attention too. Things that you may not wish to waste your main weapon's large, heavy munitions on. Things that you would want to use a fairly capable round on, but which would not require an elephant gun to kill. Thinks Compy's. They wouldn't require much more than a hit from a .22 lr to disable, but the calibler should be able to replace the larger weapon in an emergency. So a light, high capacity, ultra reliable handgun in a fairly capable center fire caliber would fill the niche here.

At last a use for the 9mm!

Make mine a Glock 17 with a pair of 30 round mags to accompany the 6 regular high cap mags stuck in my belt. Hey, what about a full auto switch too? Wouldn't want to face a raptor in one of those "emergency" situation's otherwise... Ok, maybe a 40 S&W would be... Naw, 10mm. Yep, make it a 10 mm.
Old September 29, 2002, 11:54 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Skip the handgun.

Just dip yourself in A-1 so that you're a tasty morsel for the critters.

They'll appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 30, 2002, 12:03 AM   #8
Glamdring

Hmmm...maybe I should skip the guns. Wouldn't want to shoot an endangered critter, perhaps pepper spray or just an air horn?

Old September 30, 2002, 01:50 AM   #9
Rail Gun

Puff the magic dragon will wipe them all out.
Old September 30, 2002, 07:27 AM   #10
johnwill

I've never seen this gun in person, but I have talked to someone that swears this guy fires it, it's a hundred caliber BP revolver. FWIW, he actually made this gun from scratch! This looks like the ticket for a hike in Jurassic Park.

Old September 30, 2002, 08:48 AM   #11
Marko Kloos

An Austrian gunsmith named Pfeifer makes a single action wheelgun in .600 Nitro Express. It's called the Pfeifer Zeliska Revolver. I have an article on it as a PDF, if anyone is interested. It's in German, since it comes out fo a Swiss gun rag, but it has lots of nice pictures.

The ballistics for factory .600 Nitro Express out of the Pfeifer-Zeliska are 900 grains at 1515 fps, for 4586 fpe.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:57 AM   #12
scotjute

As previously mentioned, the handgun is there simply to back-up the elephant gun you'll be carrying (minimum .375 H&H). My choice for handgun would probably be a 12 gage over & under double barrell cut down to about 9-10" barrells and of course stock cut back to just the pistol grip. Illegal in our society today, but for a stroll down Jurasic lane it'd be my choice.
Old September 30, 2002, 09:15 AM   #13
buzz_knox

"Phased plasma [pistol] in the 40 watt range." What the terminator carries as backup.

How about a Phaser 2? Very effective, especially if you're carrying spare powerpacks.

A willy gun pistol (firing antimatter pellets) would also be handy.
Old September 30, 2002, 09:48 AM   #14
MrAcheson

Ummm I do not want to be firing an anti-matter pistol in anything other than hard vacuum. I'd rather not be standing at the center of a small nuclear explosion thanks. Granted it would surely scare off those beasties though. Heck whoever came on the island after me to dinohunt would have most of their work done for them. Most of the meat would even be pre-cooked for them.
Old September 30, 2002, 10:14 AM   #15
BigG

Ha ha. Just noted that 600 NE revo has adjustable sights. Wanna bet they never shoot it enough to get it zeroed?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old September 30, 2002, 10:51 AM   #16
ronin308

lendringser- That guy ports his .600...wuss.

I would probably want a .500 Linebaugh or a .44 mag with some Garrett Hammerheads.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:06 AM   #17
Rick R

I'd want a GE Minigun on each hip and a wheel barrow full of ammo.

But then again, who here on this forum doesn't want a wheel barrow full of ammo.
Old September 30, 2002, 11:53 AM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

Captain Kirk's phaser set on "vanish" mode. Despite the lack of sights, those things never miss and they always work. Only one problem - you can't eat what you just zapped. Lesser handguns are only serve to facilitate suicide.
Old September 30, 2002, 01:41 PM   #19
MilesTeg

I hope the handguns are for the guys manning the crew served weapons.... 9mm should be fine since they will be using it on themselves.

P.S. Don't forget to wear little bells on your clothing. It will
scare the Raptors.
Old September 30, 2002, 01:50 PM   #20
justmeandmydr200

A DSA FAL carbine w/synthetic stock and top cover w/stripper clip
loading capabilities. A big stack of 20 rd mags. loaded with FMJ alternating with softoses. Sidearm: Desert Eagle .50 cal AE pistol.
Alternate long gun choice: Streesweeper shotgun w/extra mags
loaded with DU slugs alternating with #3 buckshot.
Althernate handgun choice: HK MK 23 SOCOM w/FMJ FP slugs.
be shot by those who do not.
"I live back in the woods you see, the cats, dogs, the Xbox,
the 4wheeler, the jetski, the scanner, the .45 automatic, the
AK47 and me!"
The Bible says that the only way to Heaven is thru Jesus Christ.
Old September 30, 2002, 02:29 PM   #21
jhisaac

Rick R
>But then again, who here on this forum doesn't want a wheel barrow full of ammo.

Who here on this forum doesn't HAVE a wheel barrow full of ammo?

jhisaac
Old September 30, 2002, 04:54 PM   #22
gryphon

Skip the handgun and go straight to the lightsaber. If it can work for Obi-wan in Ep. 2, it's good enough for me.

Other than that, I'll take the Enterprise 1701-E, phaser targets from orbit. Why put yourself in danger?
Old September 30, 2002, 07:21 PM   #23
agtman

100 cal. BP revolver.

Looks awesome.

But I'll bet finding a holster is near impossible.
Old September 30, 2002, 07:27 PM   #24
johnwill

Quote:
But I'll bet finding a holster is near impossible.
I don't know what that bad boy weighs, but I'll bet you'd get tired of it dangling from your hip long before you found any dinosaurs! My next trip to Portland, I'm going to have to see that gun in person!
Old September 30, 2002, 11:23 PM   #25
jem375

what a dumb post..........