The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 22, 2002, 08:42 PM   #1
Preacherman

Woman shot when gun falls into commode...

From the Lake City Reporter (URL http://www.lakecityreporter.com/news...021021n3.html?)

Woman shot when gun falls in commode
Lake City Reporter
October 21, 2002

A Lake City woman was airlifted to Shands Jacksonville on Sunday afternoon, after her gun fell into the commode and shot her in the buttocks, according to the Columbia County Sheriff's Office.

A deputy was called to the Moore Road address shortly after 3 p.m., about a shooting and saw a woman bleeding severely from her left buttock. Emergency medical technicians were on the scene and had the woman airlifted to Jacksonville, reports say.

Reports say the woman had just taken classes on firearm safety and she had a fear of being robbed due to past incidents.

The woman heard something outside her home and reached over the toilet to raise the window and the gun fell into the toilet. The woman was injured when the 9 mm handgun discharged into the commode, reports say.

(I've heard of a "stopping shot", but this is ridiculous...)
Old October 22, 2002, 09:07 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

She must have slept through the weapons retention and security portion of the class.

Oh well, not fatal so came out well in the end.

Sam
Old October 22, 2002, 09:19 PM   #3
Ed Brunner

Good one Sam!

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old October 22, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4
TallPine

Think of it as a test .... at least she knows that the gun will still shoot when it is under water
"The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government." --Daniel Webster
Old October 22, 2002, 10:33 PM   #5
Calamity Jane

Oh. My.

I have been rendered speechless.

(though giggling at Sam's commentary!!)
Old October 22, 2002, 10:37 PM   #6
WYO

Not a happy ending, but could have been worse.
Old October 22, 2002, 10:47 PM   #7
Justin

I'd be curious to know what sort of pistol it is. After all, don't all modern handguns have safeties designed into them to keep just such an event from occuring?
Old October 22, 2002, 11:00 PM   #8
Blackhawk

Watch for PRK, etc., to add a new element to their drop testing protocols.

Still can't figure out how she caught it in the left cheek by the description. Bet there are a few salient situational facts missing....
Old October 22, 2002, 11:08 PM   #9
Bruce626

Aha... she must've had one of those evil black semiautomatic plastic xray-invisible butt shooter guns.
Old October 22, 2002, 11:10 PM   #10
qkrthnu

Hmmm, wierd. I wonder if she's telling the story the way it really happened?

If she is, I'd like to know what kind of gun it was.
"Whoever is not with me is against me," Jesus Christ (Luke 11:23)
Old October 23, 2002, 01:09 AM   #11
Weimadog

C.R.Sam Oh well, not fatal so came out well in the end.

It is wrong to make this woman the butt of your joke
Old October 23, 2002, 01:22 AM   #12
Coronach

Oh s***, another ND.

Mike

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 23, 2002, 01:33 AM   #13
bastiat

Shot in the butt when she dropped a gun into the toilet? Something about her story smells funny.
Old October 23, 2002, 02:53 AM   #14
croyance

Why does everybody who does something stupid with a gun feel a need to say "the gun went off" or otherwise blame it on the gun?
Old October 23, 2002, 03:27 AM   #15
Dangus

Um, ok, assuming she really DID do something dumb with the gun, besides the obvious. How would she accidentally shoot herself in the butt otherwise?

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

"Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."
Old October 23, 2002, 07:16 AM   #16
theberettaman

As the true facts come out we will find that she was so distrought over the recent violence that she tried to blow her brains out.
By any chance was she a blonde?
Old October 23, 2002, 08:00 AM   #17
jason10mm

I bet she was adjusting it in the holster, finger went into trigger guard, and BAM, lateral shot into the buttock. The "dropped in the toilet" part is so she can save (a little) face and not get into trouble with her health insurance. LAter.
Old October 23, 2002, 10:29 AM   #18
Kentucky Rifle

When I first read this post and the replies yesterday, I started laughing and couldn't stop. The phone rang with a fellow wanting to talk about a vest that I'm considering for my wife as a Christmas gift. I almost choked. He asked me what was the matter, I told him, he bagan to laugh uncontrolably and asked me to call later when we'd both "laughed it out". Took a long time.
The lady in question should turn the other cheek (as it were) and fess up, less we have an assault toilet ban called for by the Brady Bunch. BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Whew--cracked myself up again.

KR
Old October 23, 2002, 11:29 AM   #19
spacemanspiff

(since my original reply yesterday *disappeared*)

tactical toilet training gone awry...
Old October 23, 2002, 11:38 AM   #20
Blackhawk

jason10mm, that sounds like a reasonable explanation. I can't imagine the gun firing by being dropped in the toilet, nor can I imagine a ricochet from a slug fired into it hitting her.

Good thinking!
Old October 23, 2002, 02:36 PM   #21
Correia

Kind of near this topic, the range that I shoot IDPA and 3 gun at has portapotties. I always have this deep and irrational fear that I'm going to go in there and somehow my 1911 is going to fall out of the holster, or my paddle holster will slip off and go into the pit. Impossible, but it still makes me nervous.

Of course I would have to go after it. Now if I just lost a magazine, then it just ain't worth it. Its gone.
Old October 23, 2002, 02:45 PM   #22
Bogie

Sounds like TSHTF...

A few years back, a VERY noted benchrest shooter dropped his bolt (they're immediately removed upon ceasefire) from a pocket into a portajohn. That's around $400 or more.

He got it out.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 23, 2002, 03:38 PM   #23
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

One thing is for sure,

it wasn't a Sig!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 23, 2002, 03:41 PM   #24
freeride21a

It coulda been an older single action with the hammer down over a loaded chamber.

I know that I could play hockey with my colt 1991a1 and it would not go off, an any condition...but im not gonna do it, cause it would violate almost every rule sumultaniously.
Old October 23, 2002, 03:48 PM   #25
AndrewWalkowiak

Port-a-john retirevals...

All this talk of losing prized firearms and/or parts to the dreaded blue pit of the port-a-john...

Maybe a really strong magnet on a stout length of string needs to go into that range bag... and some disposable surgical gloves too. You never know...

If it was a whole gun that fell in, cleaning it should be "interesting". It would certainly be the first time I ever saw blue on that patch that wasn't from copper solvent.