The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2002, 08:35 AM   #1
Art708

Cs45

Who has one of these. I am seriously thinking of getting one and would like to have input from those who own one and has put more than just a few rounds through it....thanks
Old November 13, 2002, 10:57 AM   #2
Kermit

try a search on the topic, the 'CS' line of S&W guns is a fairly common topic.
Old November 13, 2002, 04:33 PM   #3
Onslaught

Quote:
try a search on the topic, the 'CS' line of S&W guns is a fairly common topic.
Unfortunately, you can't search for "CS" because of the 3 character minimum on the search function.

So in an attempt to be neighborly to a relatively new member, I ran a search of "CS9 or CS40 or CS45" and came up with these results.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...der=descending
Now, if you want STRICTLY info on the CS45, just hit the search button and type CS45 in the keyword field, and select "Handguns: The Semi-Auto Forum" on the "Search Forum" drop down.

I agree, the Chief's Special autos appear to have potential. If the new S&W P99 compact isn't all I'm hoping it to be, I'll be forking out for a CS40 myself.
Old November 13, 2002, 10:28 PM   #4
jrp

Bought a CS45 a few years back. Only problem so far is the slide not going fully into battery. Happens maybe once every 50 rounds. I believe it is a known issue - see some of the older threads. The problem may resolve as the gun wears in. Only about 300 rds thru mine, so I need to shoot it some more before sending it back.

Trigger is kind of sloppy. Sights are good, F&F are excellent, gun is a bit blocky, though. Overall, I'm happy with it for the price I paid - $420 NIB on sale.
AzCDL Member
Old November 13, 2002, 11:26 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

A bit blocky?

That's like saying Rosie is a bit fat, or Dan Rather is a bit biased!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 14, 2002, 03:07 AM   #6
fastbolt

Yeah, there are several good threads on this pistol in both this forum, and the S&W forum ...

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/cgi...i?action=intro

A friend and I bought a couple of the early CS45's. His was blued and mine was stainless. Both pistols exhibited the occasional condition of not returning fully to battery when heated up from a few magazines fired in rapid succession. After discussing this with an engineer at the factory, and learning that some of the early pistols had left the factory with barrel tab/breech face tolerances that were too tight ... I adjusted both barrel tabs to the recommended specification and the problems immediately stopped, and haven't reoccurred for close to a couple of thousand rounds. I'm sure S&W would gladly examine and adjust any early pistol that has this condition.

Too tight of a tolerance ... imagine that ... instead of too sloppy, they went the other direction and made a tolerance too tight ... apparently because they wanted to maximize the accuracy, according to what I was told.

The only other issue was related to some very early magazines where the secondary "dimple", behind and below the primary magazine lip indentation, were done by hand by a contract vendor in the beginning. Slight variances of placement of these small indentations created some problems with how the rounds moved upward during recoil in some magazines. This situation was quickly corrected with new production methods, and any problematic magazines were replaced.

I've watched quite a few newer CS45 pistols easily go through our qualification courses without any problem whatsoever during the last couple of years.

There's more detail posted in some of the threads ... and there's some very happy comments from new owners of this fine little pistol ...

I haven't found any ammunition mine doesn't like, but then I primarily shoot standard pressure 230gr loads. It balances well while firing, even though it feels "blocky" and "squarish" to many people, just holding it in the hand ... and it's more accurate than a mini .45 pistol has a right to be.

It's not "pretty" ... but it's very, very functional.

Try searching through the S&W forum semiauto pistol threads. This little pistol is winning over quite a few skeptics.

Still ugly enough to almost be cute, though ...

What annoys me about the CS45, though, is that it shoots better than my 4513TSW ... which feels about as close to "perfect" for my hands as I've found in a compact .45 pistols. This isn't that uncommon, however, and I can shoot smaller and faster groups with my CS9 than with my 3913 ... and I LOVE the balance and feel of my 3913.

I guess pretty is, as pretty does ... sometimes, anyway.
Old November 14, 2002, 08:00 AM   #7
Art708

CS 45

Thanks for the replies. I'm not totally sold on the CS yet but I am SERIOUSLY looking toward a .45 small and light enough to carry fairly comfortably. There's always the Glock 36 but then there's that trigger safety that puts me off..... and the looks of the thing. I know, I know.... they work. I gotta spend this money soon..before I use it for some foolish purpose like food or bills or gas.
Old November 14, 2002, 10:20 AM   #8
McKamie Wilson

Art708:

I spent the better part of this year doing what you are doing right now... looking for the perfect .45 in a small, usable package. Basically, you have the following choices:
1) Compact 1911s - Like the Kimber Ultra Carry, these little guns are based on the 1911 format, are SA, and can be carried in Condition 1. They are very good for CCW use and they are also expensive. Condition 1 always made me nervous... even in the jungle with a flapped holster.
2) Glock 36 - Great shooting, reliable, concealable, good price range. Unfortunately, it's a Glock and people either love 'em or hate 'em. I'm in the latter group. I just don't like the trigger or firing pin mechanisms.
3) Para-Ordnance 6.45 LDA - Oh, man, I thought long and hard about this one. It seems like the perfect solution. It's a tad on the expensive side of the scale, but it's got a trigger that's smooth as silk, it's DAO, it's a good shooter, and P-O is developing a good reputation for reliability and service. Plus, it just looks good! I finally said No to this option because of the weight (it just feels heavy on the belt) and because the DA trigger felt too light to be comfortably safe.
4) SIG P245 - Close... almost a buy. I have carried a SIG P220 since it was first imported as a BDA 45 and everything I looked at was compared to my P220 as far as accuracy, reliability, and handling were concerned. The P245 is an excellent package and a really good shooter. It just didn't quite feel right in my hands.
5) S&W CS45 - The light at the end of the tunnel. Fits right, feels right, shoots great, has a decent DA first shot and smooth-as-silk SA follow-up shots. Weight is great. Recoil is a non-factor even with 185 gr +P rounds. Mine has been ultra-reliable with all different kinds of ammo. Did I say it shoots great?! It also carries like a dream. The price was right, too. Oh, and did I mention that IT SHOOTS GREAT!

Good luck with your search.

Mac