The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2000, 03:08 PM   #1
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Stupid question:

Is there some trick to using pullers that I'm unaware of? I picked up an RCBS puller last night, after doing a couple of carts without powder (duh).

I can't get the bullets to come out!

Yes, they're pointing the right way. I've tried smacking the thing on wood, concrete, and metal, and no joy. The bullets won't move even a millimeter.

Help? Please?

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 10, 2000, 03:50 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

The bullet cal./weight make a difference. Obviously the heavier ones come out easier. There is no real trick to using one, but if you have ever used a dead blow hammer, it is similar to that. You really have to smack it hard and follow through, sort of like hitting a golf ball. Obviously you can't really follow through, but most folks tend to start stopping the puller/hammer before it even hits the piece of wood. Also, I have found that holding a heavy piece of wood (a 3X3 about 2 ft long) and hitting it instead of hitting a bench or the floor seems to work better. I can usually get any bullet out of any round in 3 or 4 hits. However, if you have used a factory crimp, then pliers are about the only way to get the bullets out.
Old January 10, 2000, 04:00 PM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Mal, I use taper crimp. Don't think I've got it set too tight, given my results at the range.

I'll try putting more oomph behind the thing. Thanks for the reply.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 10, 2000, 04:04 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Taper crimps are easier to pull than roll crimps. I've seen a picture of you - you can do it! Keep saying "I think I can, I think I can." You'll pull that train up the hill ... No wait, that's a different story.
Old January 10, 2000, 04:18 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Somehow, I knew it would be you posting this. Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading & "unloading."

Coin, I just gotta ask. Is your cartridge hanging from the "screw end" of the "hammer thing" and not just dropped down into the "hammer thing?" Not trying to be "funny" here (I'm sure it's frustrating). The cartridge needs to be "loaded" into a collet, the screw-on cap tightened & catridge supported & hanging in the air (so to speak).

Too, lightweight bullets (115 9mm maybe?) do need a bit more pounding as it's an inertial puller after all.

Another tip. After each pound, hand-tightened the puller's cap. They tend to back off a bit after each hit & after 3-4 or 5, the cap (sometimes - depends on the model) fly off on the very next pound & throw the collet, cap, bullet, brass & powder all over the room.

Even a regular old 2X4 sitting on a concrete floor should give enough support to do the trick. Actually better than directly on concrete as it absorbs a bit of the energy (seems like that's the last thing you want right now!) & is easier on the puller over time.

Try to put a bit of snap to your pounds - kinda crack your wrist just before the puller hits the floor. Seems to add a bit of impetus ...

If nothing else - I refer you to your own quote by Sam Johnson.

& please do let us know the outcome.
Old January 10, 2000, 04:33 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Labgrade, somehow *I* knew I'd be posting something like this when I started.

The cartridges are snugged into the collet, yep, not bouncing around inside the body of the puller. Hey, I'm not as stoopid as I look (I couldn't possibly be).

I'm trying to unload 155gr 10mm. Not a real heavy bullet, so yeah, it'll take some more pounding.

I found out about the cap-tightening thing firsthand, when on the 5th whack, the cartridge and collet went into orbit. I'll tell ya, since I started smithing and loading, I'm getting good at assuming The Position.

------------------
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 10, 2000, 06:38 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

Come on Coin - you've kept us waiting here with bated breath. Did you get the bullet pulled?
Old January 10, 2000, 06:38 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

re the collet bit - I had to check, y'know. Nobody that plays around with PCs for money all day could be an idiot.

Actually, for all swinging applied, the 155 should pull out easier than a 115.

& re the 5th whack ... see?! Wish I could've walked you through some things in person. but I gotta tell ya, your posts are just too funny (you have a fine style & are keeping it all in perspective) & I've done every single one of the Fups you've posted. Nothing like experience to teach one a better way. Something about the mother of invention ....

BOHICA

So, did you ever get the damnable things out?

Let me see ... I'm trying to predict your next adventure.

Just for grins (and absolutely a MUST for safety), after charging your brass with powder, ALWAYS shine a flshlight into each case & compare powder levels (double charges will be very evident) to make certain all your charges are similar. I'm assuming you're using a cartridge block & can access each piece of brass. No need to tell you why "the same amount of powder" is important & a full case is bad.

Not a bad idea to actually weigh (on your powder scale) a charge (powder thrower - they are volumetric & not a weighing device, after all) at the end of each 50 (or so) chargings.

Absolutely great "watching" this go down. You got style, Coin!
Old January 10, 2000, 06:58 PM   #9
rblack

I'm pretty new to reloading, but am glad I got a bullet puller when I got everything else. I just had to unload 30 rds of 45 acp with that thing. I just smacked it on an old piece of carpet laying over concrete, usually 2 or 3 times was enough. I sure have gotten a lot of valuable information from reading this board and want to thank everyone. Rod Black
Old January 10, 2000, 07:29 PM   #10
ML

One of the posts was right about having to use a little zip when striking the bullet puller. I smack it on a piece of newspaper or wood on a concrete floor. The key is to strike hard but quick.

Good Luck
Old January 10, 2000, 07:37 PM   #11
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, that would've been funny, trying to pull bullets at work... "Hey, Bill, wanna see something cool? (WHACK!) No more problems with the domain server!"

SUCCESS!

I took one of my old speakers, covered it with the towel I use as a dropcloth on my bench, smacked hell out of it with a flick o' the wrist... 4 hits, bullet's out.

Thanks a gazillion, guys.

------------------
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 10, 2000, 09:05 PM   #12
Grayfox

I've found that the harder the surface you're hitting, the easier the bullets come out. Concrete floor is good. I smack mine on the small anvil at the back of my bench vice.

***Helpful Hint***
The shell holders from most presses will fit right into the cap on the bullet puller. Much easier and faster than fumbling with the collet and it works just fine.
Old January 10, 2000, 09:49 PM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Grayfox - Great tip on using a shell holder. I never thought of that. And it has the added benefit of blocking powder from escaping around the collet a little better. Thanks.
Old January 10, 2000, 09:49 PM   #14
Bud Helms

Coineach,

Coineach ... is that like konnichiwa, without the "iwa"? No, couldn't be, it sounds Goolic, oops ... Gaelic.

Dear Jesus! This is the funniest post I could possibly ever read.

I have tears all over my keyboard ... !
Old January 10, 2000, 09:58 PM   #15
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Sensop, NO, it isn't. Although the Prez of the local Loonitarian Party calls me that at our meetings, grumble...

Second Mal's thanks to Grayfox. I put in the shell holder for .303 (see my newest dumbass question), and it's working like a champ. 'specially using my vise as a block, since I don't have concrete floors.

------------------
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 10, 2000, 10:03 PM   #16
WalterGAII

Since I've read a few threads about kinetic pullers exploding, I've tried to minimize the use of mine.
Old January 11, 2000, 12:57 AM   #17
Bud Helms

Jeez. Now he tells us.
Old January 11, 2000, 12:17 PM   #18
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

The pullers don't explode, the cartridge does. That the puller's turned to shrapnel is just a by-product. Gotta keep it accurate for the newbies.
Old January 11, 2000, 12:33 PM   #19
Mal H
Staff

Fahget about it! I dare say no one of the human race can use a puller and impart the same shock to a cartridge that a .44 Magnum, for example, can to cartridges in the cylinder. If you can impart a shock of over 1500 G's, then you don't need bullets, an old fashioned sling shot will do for you.
Old January 11, 2000, 11:26 PM   #20
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I've never heard of a cartridge exploding in a puller of any kind. I was talking about THROWING the puller w/cartridge installed (new sport). & yep, @1500Gs! it explodes. Many s
Old January 11, 2000, 11:46 PM   #21
Mal H
Staff

I knew what you meant labgrade.

But on the very serious side - don't think of using a puller without at least wearing safety glasses. I personally wear a face shield like you can find at a welders supply shop when using one. I know you guys know this, but we have a lot of newcomers to the reloading biz and I thought it couldn't hurt to give a reminder.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old January 12, 2000, 05:52 PM   #22
WalterGAII

I'm going to invest a couple of bucks in an RCBS press-type puller. Not much chance of fission, there.
Old January 14, 2000, 03:43 PM   #23
Pierre

Amazed that no one advised him to purchase an RCBS bullet puller!!! Quick, clean, safe, no smacking, hollering and cursing. Pulls 'em clean and positively every time! Works in your press just like a die. Rotater colett grips projectile and your press does the rest.
Old January 14, 2000, 03:47 PM   #24
Pierre

Sorry, Walter...I should have seen your reply before posting....I'm going to sit on my press and pull my head........
Old January 14, 2000, 04:21 PM   #25
Mal H
Staff

Pierre, because he already had the puller! Should we have said, throw that POS away and go buy this? It was a question of how to use it, not what to buy. Another reason is cost. The kinetic is about half the cost of the collet type puller and that's for only one bullet size. Each additional bullet size requires a new collet purchase. If you are going to be pulling hundreds of bullets at a sitting, it might be worth it, but I'll stick to the kinetic for the occassional use with all bullet sizes.