The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 12, 2001, 10:37 PM   #1
hksigwalther

Well, finally got to shoot the QEII (only 40 rounds). The main purpose of the trip to the range was to allow a co-worker sample a few 9mms as it that caliber is on his list for a near future purchase. Since he didn't show up, out came the QEII.

Unfortunately, I left my rifle rests at home. Only thing I had for a rest was the soft rifle case (rolled up). Despite being rolled up, the case was still quite low. So, I hunkered down to meet the sights on the target which was about 1.5-2.0 feet above the level of the rifle at ~65 yds. (65 yds is the maximum for my local range.) Chambered a round, squeezed, BANG, ow. Dang but that .308 can kick. Tried to raise the rifle a bit so I wouldn't behind the rifle as much by slipping the binocular case under the rifle. BANG, ow, still hurting. Tried to get it a little higher and adjust the sights to get on the cardboard. BANG, ow. Those first three rounds were the worst I have ever shot pain-wise. At this rate I don't think my shoulder would have lasted 10 rounds and the rifle is still not zeroed. Well, only thing to try is standing unsupported. Not very accurate but would probably save my shoulder.

Surprisingly enough the rifle was VERY PLEASANT to shoot standing. NO pain at all. Spent the remaining 20 rounds (5 round groups at a time) in the first box to get elevation - ~3.6 mark on the rear sight ladder. Shooting 4.5-5.0 inches to the left. Did not have anything to adjust the windage (front sight) so I left it.

First 2 - 5 round strings are :

The best group was the first off of the white on the left ~3 inches. Tried a little Kentucky windage to get in the white but was not aiming very well against the brown cardboard (second group). Then tried making a fist with my weak hand and resting the mag on top for the next string. Last string with my weak hand open and the mag resting on my palm. Groups got worse, ~6-8 inches. Had 18 rounds of Winchester Match but decided not to use them as I felt it would just go to waste.

The rifle fired flawlessly, no misfires. The factory mag fed flawlessly. The aftermarket mag choked after 3 or 4 rounds. Despite having wider front and rear feed lips, the front lips hung the rounds up when they were being stripped. The factory mags allow the nose of the cartridge to ride up the feed ramp which draws the round toward the center and allows the shoulder of the cartridge to ride above the front feed lips. The aftermarket mag's front feed lips catch the shoulder of the cartridges. A little Dremmeling should correct it but a better choice, if anyone is looking to buy a QEII, is to buy factory mags, they cost just $10 more and are built better. Didn't know a source for factory mags until marcus mentioned Sportsman's Guide had them.

The bolt worked with little effort and did not bind. I was trying to control ejection so the casings wouldn't fly out too far so I am not sure how far they would eject. Casings did not stick in the chamber. The compensator worked very well. Muzzle climb did not seem to exceed 2 inches. The noise was very loud, even with ear muffs on. This was amplified by the three wall/roof shack that surrounds the benches. Cheekweld was a bit low due to the low comb (at least for me). A solution would be a padded cheekrest.

Overall, the rifle worked very well and was very enjoyable to shoot off hand. Very handy and light but did not recoil as much as I thought it would (off of the bench). Next time, I will scope it and bring the proper benching gear for accuracy work. Have not tried any of the survival gear in the butt stock compartment. Am thinking about getting another, as cheap as they are.

Keep in mind that this is 65 yds unsupported and I am far from the best shot.

My suggestions :

1. Save your shoulder and do not shoot this rifle prone or have your shooting shoulder immobilized.
2. Use factory mags.

My shoulder hurts.
Old February 13, 2001, 01:19 AM   #2
Lord Grey Boots

I'd keep an eye on the pin that keeps the front site/compensator on. If its a rolled pin, not solid, it may self destruct soon and send your front site assembly down range. I'd replace it with a solid pin.

I just had to do that for my Quest Extreme 303.

Sarin Nerve Gas:FOUND Ricin Toxin:FOUND Mustard Gas:FOUND Long Range Rockets:FOUND Nuclear material:FOUND 20 tons of Chemical weapons:FOUND Al-Queda FOUND
Old February 13, 2001, 11:05 AM   #3
Dave R

That pain in your shoulder may have been due to your position when firing the rifle from the rolled-up gun case.

If you were hunched over pretty far (sounds like it), then the recoil may have been pushing your shoulder parallel to your spine rather than perpendicular to your spine. Your shoulder is not designed to move that way.

Even in (proper) prone position, your head & shoulders are up above your spine and the shoulder is moving perpendicular to the spine, as it should.

So I guess I'm saying that shooting prone may be more comfortable than shooting hunched over.
Old February 13, 2001, 11:42 AM   #4
shunt

Bad Experience with Quest II

I received my Quest II about a month or two ago and was very dissatisfied. I loved the way the rifle looked at first, but upon closer inspection noticed that the "nickel" finish was that cheap variety usually found on Chinese made toys. My bolt was even coated in this stuff, and it promptly flaked off in those areas where it rubbed against the action. I liked the feel of the rifle and expected to get over the finish, so I kept it and gave it a run at the range. I started off with some British Radway Green .308 that regularly runs several other rifles I own. The rifle shot well, recoiled much less than I expected, but froze the bolt in place. Finally after some banging the bolt opened and I tried once again thinking that the flakey finish might be causing some trouble. Bang, same thing, bolt won't open. I tried some different ammo, and the bolt eventually opened up. One annoying thing...the rear sight would pop up after every shot and would have to be placed back down in order to fire the next round.

When it was all over, I started picking up some brass and noticed that all the cases were bulged. This had nothing to do with the loads as they were all factory loadings. Rather, the rifle had a nasty headspace problem. I sent it back to the retailer and he mentioned that this wasn't the first time one of these rifles had been returned for the same thing.

Buyer Beware.
Old February 13, 2001, 06:57 PM   #5
hksigwalther

gebooth the pin in mine is solid. Thanks for the info though.

Dave, I have no doubt I was in the wrong position with respect to direction the recoil when compared to my body (or what was behind by shoulder). I'll just not do it again.

shunt, how many rounds did you fire when you noticed the problem? When I compared the empties from the QEII to the spent Winchester Match casing that had gone through a Rem M700, the dimensions were not very different. (0.474" QEII/0.467" M700 at the widest point on the case wall. Length for the QEII is 0.002" shorter but this could be due to the different cases, Rem vs. Win.) I guess I got a good one. To tell you the truth I realy could have done without the nickle. Just asimple blue or parkerized would have been better.
Old February 15, 2001, 09:44 AM   #6
shunt

Well, I didn't actually measure them. I didn't have to. There were visible signs of potential case head seperation. The brass was unuseable after being fired in the Quest.

Kind of a shame really, because I liked the rifle. Was hoping to use it as a scout platform. I agree that blueing or parkerizing would be much better. Glad you got a good one though.

It all worked out for me in the end...I was able to fide a Savage Scout in 7mm-08 for only $75 more than the Quest.