PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Millennium Generations - How to tell apart.

Taurusaur
May 21, 2007, 11:57 PM
1st. Generation> Most have smooth grip with raised stippling on front and backstrap. Straight backstrap. DAO with heavy trigger. "MILLENNIUM" on left side of frame, model number on right side of frame I.e.: PT111, PT140, PT145. Generally considered not of consistent quality. High incidence of polymer frame pins cracking. Feeding and ejection problems. Taurus recieved many of these back for repair and many have been repaired and go on to shoot thousands of rounds reliably.

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/111B.jpg
First Generation PT111

2nd. Generation> Textured grip with raised stippling on front and backstrap. Palm swell bacckstrap. DAO with better trigger. "MILLENNIUM Pro" on left side of frame, model number on right side of frame I.e.: PT111, PT140, PT145. Quality was much improved over the initial generation. Polymer frame pins replaced with steel ones. Trigger is lighter and smoother. Still selling as "NIB" occasionally in gun stores.

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/111BP.jpg
Second Generation

3rd. Generation> Textured grip with raised stippling on front and backstrap. "MILLENNIUM" on left side of frame, model number plus "Pro" on right side of frame I.e.: PT111PRO, PT140PRO, PT145PRO.
Has "memory pads" on both sides of frame. (small oval detents on the frame to place tip of trigger finger keeping outside of triggerguard.) Trigger is SA/DA, NOT DAO or DA/SA. Distinction is that the striker stays cocked and the first and subsequent rounds are fired with a short (after initial takeup) light and very crisp trigger pull. Should the slide then not cycle, the striker reverts to double action mode allowing a second (or more) strike on the primer. (Clears most FTF's in case of hard to ignite primers). Once the slide cycles again it's back to SA mode. Can be carried "cocked and locked" with the downward sweeping manual safety. Also has an internal trigger safety.
This generation has it all. Very good trigger comparable to many 1911's, safe carry capability, striker fired with re-strike built in. Also 3rd. generation guns come with Heine "straight 8" sights. So far seems reliable. Very few issues with the safety, slide release and takedown lever/pins. Which seem to be the same as the preceeding generation. In these cases, +P ammo is the culprit frequently with the takedown lever (which is a lever/pin) that's pin part locks into a slot below the chamber and is what the barrel pivots on. DO NOT use +P ammo in ANY generation Millennium as it has potential to break this pin.

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/12/009/73/F7/8E/0B/3RXpivN8zlO9+9gFfipYiJeNZLTtoGTc0240.jpg
3rd. Generation PT140 PRO

A Millennium Ending . . .
4th. Generation> 24/7 PRO Compact . . . Shipping July-September '07 (could/should also obviously be called 1st. Gen of 24/7 compact). Same size, features and function as 3rd. generation Millennium, but now with the same grip style as the 24/7 series. Available in a "millennium sized" frame with short grip or with the longer grip of the full size 24/7 (with higher same mags as full size 24/7 also) accompanying the short slide of the compact.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/21504.jpg
New 24/7 Pro Compact - Short Grip version

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi/21512.jpg
New 24/7 Pro Compact - Long Grip version

Note about 3rd. generation PT111Pro's . . . They differ from the first 2 generations in another regard in that they share the same frame and slide size as the PT140 PRO just with a much thickened barrel to create the same outer dimension as the 140 barrel. This increases the weight from 18.7 ounces to 23.6 ounces. May also create drop-in barrel interchangability with the 140's, but I have yet to hear of anyone trying that and the factory will not disclose whether this can be done.

Another note: I do not work for Taurus, just have owned several models of all 3 generations. In my opinion, each successive generation has made substantial improvement over the one before. Some prefer Gen 2 for the DAO trigger and do not use the somewhat superflous manual safety. Others like the SA/DA of Gen 3 and carry 1911 style although even on this one it's probably as safe as a Glock to carry without using.

In present form these are very reliable, accurate feature-packed pistols that carry very well concealed. The gen 3's are a joy to shoot in my experience.

MPanova
May 22, 2007, 03:54 AM
Great write up! http://vcoftulsa.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/bowdown.gif

Will you please sir go over to www.taurusarmed.net and post this

xrocket
May 22, 2007, 09:15 AM
Taurusaur

Thank you for the great post.

Not to correct your facts concerning Gen 3 to Gen 4 Pro 24/7 but there is I believe a Gen 4 that is now out prior to the 24/7. This is a continuation and should be the new Gen 4.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Mill PT145 Pro new in box with a NAM 064xx serial number in all black. It does not have the modeled in plastic "Made In Brazil" flash at the top of right side hand grip as your Gen 3 picture shows and it also has a piccatinny rail which your GEN 1,2,&3 do not.

I was told that mine was a Gen 4 and it was new in the market. Also as additional support to a Millennium PT145Pro Gen 4 already out the Taurus website does not yet support my serial number information query. The pictures have not been updated on the Taurus website as of monday. Further more, I believe the Millennium Pro will be a continuation of the Millennium line and the 24/7 a companion line.

I offer this information in the spirit of helpful knowledge and if I'm wrong please correct me. BTW, it is a fantastic gun for my needs. I've polished the barrel and receiver to a mirror finish and the small amount bright on the all black gun really gives it a very subtle edge.

Hope this helps.

muddhogg
May 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
That was AWESOME!! Thanks! I'm going to have to print this out when I go the gun show in August!! :D

tex45acp
May 22, 2007, 10:23 AM
I have the 2nd Generation Millennium Pro with the small accessory rain up front. I like the sights much better than the straight 8's that are on the newer versions. A great little gun for a very fair price.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/MillProSmall.jpg

Dallas Jack
May 22, 2007, 06:35 PM
The 2nd and 3rd gen PT-145's have the light rail. I haven't seen any other Mil-Pro's that have it but someone on another forum claims to seen a PT-140
with a light rail.

ALso another difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen is the recoil guide rod. The end of the rod has a larger dia head with a coresponding larger hole in the slide.

My collection of Mil-Pro's. 2nd and 3rd gen PT-111, PT-140, and PT-145's
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o17/DallasJack/DSCF0621B.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o17/DallasJack/DSCF0620B.jpg
Dallas Jack

Taurusaur
May 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
What is even more confusing about Millenniums is that Taurus makes changes within generations as well. Some 2nd. and 3rd. generations have rails, most 9's and 40's do not. Seemingly all 2nd. and 3rd. generation 45's have rails.

Titanium versions are even more varied.

No doubt Millenniums will be sold for quite some time. Taurus has a practice of continuing to sell off stocks of prior generations even as new ones are also out there. For example, it's possible to still buy Gen 2 guns NIB from several dealers. At some point Millenniums will stop showing up and just the 24/7 compacts will be out there . . . may take years. BTW the 24/7 series other than grip/frame design is nearly identical mechanically to the Millennium series.

Lack of night sight availability has been an issue for some with Gen 3 guns. The Heine 8's are actually made by Taurus under license, but Heine now has a straight 8 tritium sight which, although labeled for the 24/7 will also fit Millenniums. So far the only 3 dot night sights that'll work - with a little fitting- are 1911 sights from Wilson Combat. [Edit: Correction> Heine also has 3 dot tritium sights fo rthe 24/7 that will work on Gen 3 Millenniums as well. Pricey at $125 +]

Gen 3 PT145's seem to be having the most problems of that generation. Again keyed around the takedown lever/pin breaking. This gun just isn't a good choice for those who like hot ammo.

Also a note about mag compatability. Gen 1 mags are not compatable with any others. Gen 2 and 3 mags usually work on both Gen 2 and 3 guns (I say usually because some aftermarket mags have been problematic). Speculation is the new 24/7 compact will have compatability with all 24/7 mags.

Over the years I have had at least one of each caliber available in each generation. My current daily carry gun is the Gen 3 PT111 Pro with Speer 124 grain (non +P) hollowpoints.

Since I discovered Millenniums, I have tried the following other smallish polymer compact autoloaders: Glock 30, Walther P99cAS, S&W M&P9c, XD9 Compact and Glock 29. My wife has the P99, all the others have since been sold or traded. For me at least, the Millennium series has been a well suited daily carry that I shoot as well as guns costing more than 3X as much. No doubt, there's some lemons out there mainly in the early models, but I like the way Taurus has constantly improved the design and build of these guns.

MrMayface
May 23, 2007, 07:59 AM
So Is there a 4th Generation or not! You guys just left me hanging like a Season Finale! If there is a new model of the PT 145 out I need to wait and get that before I buy the 3rd generation.

Thanks

Taurusaur
May 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
No new models yet for the PT 145 PRO. They may well do a .45 ACP 24/7 compact, but so far I am only seeing information on 9mm and .40 S&W versions. There continue to be slight changes/improvements in Taurus' polymer semi-autos within generations. Yet to hear of any significant ones occurring on the Gen 3 Millenniums yet. At this point, the Gen 3 PT 145 Pro appears that it will be around for quite some time. There is no 4th. generation to the Millennium series. It's a great gun, no reason to delay getting one waiting for something newer/better thay may or may not materialize.

Hornett
May 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
I am slightly confused.
Tex45acp showed a pic of his 2nd generation, but is had the memory pads on the frame. Does the 2nd generation have these also?

Taurusaur
May 23, 2007, 10:32 AM
I am slightly confused.
Tex45acp showed a pic of his 2nd generation, but is had the memory pads on the frame. Does the 2nd generation have these also?

Sort of . . . Some later second gen. Millenniums had the memory pads. That's an example of why these can be hard to differentiate. Taurus is continually reengineering and improving even within the same generation of the same gun. For instance, I have 2 Gen 3 Stainless PT 111 Pro's bought 5 months apart. One has a fairly bright matte finish slide, the other is very grey.

Another myth is that all Gen 3's have a Z in the serial number. That only denotes manufacturing sequence (2005/2006). 2007 guns have different alpha prefixes in the serial numbers, but they ARE gen 3 guns nonetheless.

I have no "special" inside info folks . . . just an afficionado of these that also happens to know a very special lady that grew up in Portugal who can e-mail questions for me to their Brazilian factory in the native language.

Officer's Match
May 23, 2007, 10:45 AM
I wonder if there are any plans to incorporate a decock function to the SA/DA "third generation" Milleniums. I for one would appreciate the ability to carry in DA mode, thus deliberately requiring a higher triggerfinger effort first shot, as I am accustomed to with my PT92AFS.

Taurusaur
May 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
I wonder if there are any plans to incorporate a decock function to the SA/DA "third generation" Milleniums. I for one would appreciate the ability to carry in DA mode, thus deliberately requiring a higher triggerfinger effort first shot, as I am accustomed to with my PT92AFS.

Never know about Taurus, but I wouldn't think so. Would require some significant engineering and probably a slide mounted decocking lever which would be a fourth gizmo on the left side.

As it is there's about 3/4" of trigger takeup already in the SA mode. There's also a trigger block internal safety that prevents AD unless the trigger is pulled fully rearward. That combined with a manual safety make it a really redundant safe gun to carry. Even without using the manual safety, it's no more or less safe than a Glock . . . just holster in a rig that covers the trigger and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. As corny as the "memory pads" seem, I find they do well in reminding me to keep the 'ol finger out of the trigger guard until it has business being there.

If DAO is your preference, the DAO trigger on the Gen 2 guns is not bad at all. Better than some DA revolvers I've handled actually. These can still be found new in the box on occasion. Some wholesale distributors have stocks of these 2nd gen guns still available for order to dealers.

xrocket
May 23, 2007, 12:53 PM
Just a follow up to a previous post. The moderator over at taurusarmed.net provided the following info which you might find interesting.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1338.msg10561#msg10561

BTW, they are all great small frame pistols and a pleasure to shoot.

als54
May 23, 2007, 01:23 PM
I have a PT145SS that is a DAO, does anyone know if it's possible to modify the trigger to DA/SA? I like the thought of the latest gen triggers. I would even consider sending it back to Taurus for the lower half modification. Thanks in advance.

Dallas Jack
May 23, 2007, 04:41 PM
The SA/DA guns use two sears. One for the SA amd one for the DA. I don't think it is practical to attempt to modify a DAO to SA/DA.

So the Z in the serial number is incorrect. One less way to tell what gen your gun is. Then again, would it be safe to say that the 3rd gen guns started at serial number xZx or is that an incorrect assumption?

Were there any 2nd gen guns made with the larger dia guide rod?
Dallas Jack

MPanova
May 23, 2007, 07:48 PM
As far As I know the "Y" "Z" "A" in the serial number just means the year it was produced not the gen it is

Y=2005 Z=2006 A=2007 and so on and so on down the road

MrMayface
May 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
On the 3rd Gen PT145, is it possible to change the mag release for a lefty?

Taurusaur
May 23, 2007, 11:45 PM
On the 3rd Gen PT145, is it possible to change the mag release for a lefty?

Yes. Mag out, slide out. Good lighting. Small long shafted screwdriver (blade type). Push mag release retention spring forward toward the front of the gun while pushing the release out. Hold the spring there. Flip release button - reinsert, release spring and work into channel on release button. Done.

Taurusaur
May 24, 2007, 01:19 AM
http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/10/001/7B/FB/E2/8C/qzzv5eQDKLkoHKBFelVY9k0OUcIanlbT0300.jpg
Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact Stainless .40 S&W 10+1SPECIFICATIONS
Model: 24/7-40SSC-10
Caliber: .40 S&W
Capacity: 10+1
Barrel Length: 3-1/3"
Action: SA/DA
Finish: Stainless Steel
Grips: Ribber Overmold
Weight: 25.4 oz.
Construction: Polymer/Steel
Frame: Large
Front Sight: Heinie 2-dot Straight
Rear Sight: 8 Sights System
Trigger Type: Smooth
Length: 6-3/8"
Width: 1-1/4"
Height: 5-1/2"
Rate of Twist: 1:1:16"
Grooves: 6
Safety: Manual Safety, Firing Pin Block, Trigger Block
UPC: 7-24327-60260-6
Order #: 1-247409PC-10
MSRP: $520.00

MPanova
May 24, 2007, 02:03 AM
Put me on the list for the 9mm version :D To go along with my 2 24/7Pro 45's my PT145 and PT111. I also want to pick up a OSS in 9mm or .45 not sure which yet. And I need to get the PT1911 in stainless to go with my Blue one :D

MrMayface
May 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
MPanova, do you know if there are any shows in Houston this weekend? I'm so upset that I missed the show last week. Especially when I found out that there were PT 145's for $309. If there are'nt any shows, you know of any stores that I can pick up a blued one at a great price?

Thanks

MPanova
May 26, 2007, 07:28 PM
I just got an email about the show june 2nd

Houston, TX
Brown Convention Center
June 2 - 3
Sat 9-5 Sun 10-5
Adults $ 7.00 - under 12 FREE
(713) 853-8000

Hope that helps

muddhogg
June 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
FYI:

Picked up the PT111Pro in Stainless Gen3! :)

MD_Willington
June 4, 2007, 11:51 AM
I have a non-millennium PT111... is there a difference in generations in that line of pistol?

Manedwolf
June 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
I have a second-gen PT745 DAO, and much prefer it to the newer SA/DA.

Aside from the ability to use night sights, which the new one can't, I am NOT going to carry what amounts to a cocked .45 in my pocket. And if you chamber a round in the new one...that's what you've got.

Hornett
June 4, 2007, 01:31 PM
I found a used 3rd generation pt-111 pro this weekend for $275 out the door.
What a great idea for a trigger.
It couldn't have had more than a couple of mags shot through it.
The second mag hadn't even been used, it was very hard to get the 12th round in.
It shoots to point of aim at 10 yrds.
I haven't tried any other distances yet, not enough time.
This is my new fill time "truck gun". :D
Many thanks to Taurusaur for helping me find a diamond in the rough.

ImDisaster
June 3, 2008, 09:26 PM
Two questions:

Lack of night sight availability has been an issue for some with Gen 3 guns. The Heine 8's are actually made by Taurus under license, but Heine now has a straight 8 tritium sight which, although labeled for the 24/7 will also fit Millenniums.

1. What is a good source for these Heine Tritiums for the Gen 3's?

2. Does Taurus not approve the use of +P in all Milleniums? I use +P occasionally in my gen3 PT111 and haven't noticed any pin wear. However, I only shoot it enough to make sure it is reliable and I am accurate with it...maybe a 100 rounds so far.