PDA

View Full Version : A good Pittsburgh Tribune article on the shooting

Oatka
May 2, 2000, 11:09 AM
http://www.tribunereview.com/news/dimitri0502.html

The gun could help empower some victims
When police arrested Richard Baumhammers, he seemed as expressionless as the Statue of Liberty. And Ronald Taylor.

The legal system will determine if Baumhammers went on a shooting spree from the South Hills into Beaver County. Just as it will determine if Taylor did in Wilkinsburg.

Trying to make sense of the region's latest senselessness, the media were wondering if a common thread wove through the victims of unraveled killers. (Other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.)

It appears the killer in Friday's shooting spree targeted members of racial or religious minorities. Christian white people weren't a ban on the rainbow coalition of carnage. However, there's another common denominator the media overlooked. (And probably you, too.)

The victims were not able to defend themselves. They were apparently unarmed. In fact, that's the common denominator among most crime victims in the region. And America.

Who will protect you if you're targeted for extermination because you are white, black, Asian or Jewish? You cannot count on the police to protect you because as you surely must know by now, their job is to arrest suspected outlaws.

And, in spite of the pathological hatred of cops by certain members of certain communities, your police departments - once again - did magnificent work chasing and capturing a shooting spree suspect. Without harming him. (TAKE THAT ACLU.)

Police officers are not armed security guards. Nor do you want them to be, unless you're willing to turn this great country into a police state. Or, in light of the latest Reno renegade raid, more of a police state.

So, who does that leave to protect you? Liberals bray about how taking away everyone's guns somehow will protect you. They've spent fortunes promoting and instituting that in many American cities.

And, of course, violent crime is much worse there than in Middle America - where guns are an accepted part of society. As they have been from our nation's founding. Liberals also have spent years and a fortune to disarm an entire continent. Yes ... a continent.

Australia's liberals finally implemented the master plan: complete gun confiscation. Now that law-abiding Aussies cannot defend themselves, violent crime is increasing - dramatically. Welcome to the New World Order.

When the West was won, the gun was the "great equalizer." It still is.

If those victims had been armed, would they be alive today? We'll never know, but we do know they're dead because no one defended them. (If only those darn criminals would obey the law.)

I'm sick and tired of seeing defenseless, law-abiding citizens being turned into clay pigeons by well-heeled politicians with feet of clay who should be standing up for the Second Amendment.

Back in the late 1960s, Orlando, Fla., was plagued by a horrible rape crisis. Law enforcement agencies encouraged potential victims to buy and learn to use guns. The rate of rapes plunged faster than the price of Free Market stock, even though crime was up elsewhere in the Sunshine State. (I am woman, hear me roar.)

The gun empowers potential victims, especially those targeted by someone who'll never be the Welcome Wagon greeter for Lady Liberty's "wretched refuse."

Dimitri Vassilaros is the morning radio talk host on News Radio 1170 WWVA. His e-mail address is [email protected]

Images and text copyright © 2000 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.

-- 30 --

Drop the guy a line of thanks - he sure nails it.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

[This message has been edited by Oatka (edited May 02, 2000).]

jcoyoung
May 2, 2000, 11:14 AM
Excellent article. I hope it gets thru some thick skulls.

jimmy
May 2, 2000, 11:19 AM
Yes, it is excellent. I wish we saw more such articles. Thanks, Oatka.

USP45
May 2, 2000, 02:59 PM
Here's what i wrote to Mr. Vassilaros:

> I would like to take a moment to offer
> a word of thanks, and keep up the work.
>
> I just finished reading your column, it
> speaks volumes.
>
> Sincerely,

Here's his response to me:

Dear [USP45],

Thank you for reading my swill in the T-R.

And taking the time to write to me.

Feel free to write a letter to the editor at the T-R.

(I suspect many other readers share your views.)

I've taken the liberty to include letter writing instructions.

Guidelines for letters to the editor
The Tribune-Review welcomes letters from its readers. We attempt to publish
as many as possible to reflect the widest span of views on public issues.
To increase your chances for publication,the following guidelines should be
met:
The shorter the letter, the better. No writer will be published more than
once every 30 days. We reserve the right to accept or reject any letter for
publication, and also to edit for grammar, length and accuracy.All letters
must list the author's name, address and telephone number for verification
purposes.

All published letters will include the author's name.We do not publish
thank-you letters. We do publish letters of praise for individuals or
groups.

Our mailing address is:
Letters to the Editor
Tribune-Review
622 Cabin Hill Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601

Our fax number for letters is: (724) 838-5171.

To send a letter via electronic mail, click on the address below.
Our E-Mail address is: [email protected]

ALL INFORMATION WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. This information will only be
used by the Tribune-Review to contact you for verification.

You may also want to check the Libertarian Party site:
www.lp.org (http://www.lp.org)

Don't be bashful about telling fellow lovers of

personal freedom and personal responsibility about the T-R

as you forward my column around the Net.

My best,

DV

Dimitri
"Live and Dangerously Local"
6:00 - 11:00 mornings
NEWSRADIO 1170 WWVA

WTOV NEWS 9
Commentator
Monday 5:30 & 11:30

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Columnist
Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday www.triblive.com (http://www.triblive.com)

Oatka, thanks for the link in the first place. I agree, he needs some support.

~USP45