View Single Post
Old June 20, 2008, 09:41 AM   #45
ZeSpectre

One year later

We've crossed the one year mark and I thought I'd do a "long term" update for anyone interested.

I've settled into a routine of using the following chemicals.
1) Outers foaming bore cleaner (to remove copper fouling).
2) Gunzilla (for heavy powder fouling and especially to help remove the plastic snot from my shotgun barrels).
3) WeaponShield to lube and protect.

Militec 1 fell by the wayside. It apparently works great for some folks but my "rust promoting" body chemistry and Militec 1 just didn't get along where corrosion protection was concerned <sigh>.

In spite of my "rusting" body chemistry and spending an extended period inside gun sleeves/cases/socks while we moved and got settled into the new place, all of my firearms are just about spotlessly clean and completely corrosion free.

The grip screws of my carry SIG 229 continue to be the "canary-in-the-coal-mine" indicator of corrosion (what IS the deal with those damned screws?) but the worst they've gotten is just a faint hint of corrosion and a quick rub with Weaponshield on a q-tip and the problem is gone for another month or so (longer if I remember to wipe 'em down once in a while).

Wear n' tear on all my firearms seems to be well under control with no indication of lubrication failure and all of my firearms continue to operate smoothly.

All three of the chemicals in question also function with just a bare minimum amount used per cleaning so I also feel that I'm getting very good value for my money from all of the products

So one year later we have three easy to use (and easy on the nose) chemicals, a stable of happy firearms, and one satisfied gun owner.

Page generated in 0.05856 seconds with 7 queries