View Single Post
Old December 16, 2008, 10:04 PM   #13
JohnH1963

I agree there is nothing wrong defending yourself with whatever weapon you have, but at the same time you have to make your case as presentable as possible. You know that the prosecution will exploit any weakness in your case.

The weapon you use is going to be held up in front of the jury, the bullets will also be held up too in front of the jury. Lets say you used an assault rifle with a bayonet attached at the end to defend yourself. That weapon is going to be held up in front of the jurors. I agree its your right to use that weapon, but at the same time, it makes you look like a nut and your credibility is going to fall from there. Where as if you use the same weapon and same rounds as the local police department, then the prosecution has no leg to stand on. They cant make their own department look bad by second guessing the gun you used.

In these incidents, there are always things we can improve upon. I think its a big mistake to approach a man with a pistol in his hand in a hostile manner. I think its perfectly justified to shoot someone who is running at you while your gun is drawn. The person running at you should have more common sense. Its like running straight on at a bus.

However, you have to present and justify yourself in front of a judge or jury knowing that the prosecution is going to pull your pants down and use everything they can to make you look bad.

One notable remark was from the 26 year public safety official from the university. He said in his 26 years that this guy stood out because of the way he reacted and he had never encountered anything like it.

Page generated in 0.02291 seconds with 7 queries