View Single Post
Old March 3, 2023, 07:47 PM   #16
TunnelRat

So I kind of suck at shooting pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I am sure that some of my own personal success comes from spending time on the range squadded with the superstars of the sport. I'm a pretty good student, and I am not sure it works for everyone, but I find more value in working a match as an RO than taking an intro class. I did that with 3Gun, Sporting Clays, Precision Rifle, F-Class and a few others, then entered a major match and hit mid-pack out of the gate.
I think that makes sense for someone that already has a strong shooting foundation. Even if you aren’t familiar with a specific discipline, your background helps you understand it and the examples you see as an RO illustrate the rules/methods firsthand and cover a variety of situations that would take a lot of time to cover in a classroom.

The reality though is not everyone has a particularly strong foundation in shooting, and personally while I don’t think a range officer has to be the best shooter I wouldn’t a novice being a RO. Introductory courses are often set up with the premise that the people going into them might not have a lot of experience shooting. That’s why you have courses of differing levels and you gear a course in part based on the expectations set forward in the course description.

Page generated in 0.02421 seconds with 7 queries