View Single Post
Old February 18, 2024, 02:51 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

If you can find any model Krag in complete, proper military configuration for $1,000 buy it, yesterday!

I've owned a few Krags over the years, seen a bunch more, none of them were in complete, unaltered GI configuration at any reasonable price. The first things nearly everyone (who bought a Krag to use, not collect) back in the day, did, was toss the handguard wood to save weight.

Lots of them got the stocks chopped and even barrels shortened for the same reasons, to make it a better hunting rifle. I don't currently have any .30-40s but I do have a Krag, in 6.5x55 Swede. But it got sporterized a bit, probably about 100 years ago or so.

IF you're looking for a classic lever gun made the "old way" those would be the Marlin's made before they added the crossbolt safety, and Winchester 94s made before 1964. Don't know if they appeal to you, but the Savage 99s with the rotary magazines are great guns, too.

I don't have any personal interest in old Colts, but you're on the right track about being able to inspect before buying. If you are buying any gun with the intention of shooting it, buying sight unseen is a crap shoot. Sometimes you win, often, you crap out.

There aren't many people left in the country who can do quality work on old Colts, and those that can are pretty spendy and often have significant waiting lists.

Good Luck on your search, Finding one of the older lever guns in decent shape will probably be the easiest thing on your list.

Page generated in 0.03223 seconds with 7 queries