View Single Post
Old April 22, 2024, 11:07 PM   #28
bamaranger

two more hunts, no more gobbles

-hunt #15, 21 April
Sunday morning, and I will hunt before church, on state land close to home. It's gray and cold, and the wind is pretty stiff, but I go anyhow. Pretty much a waste of time. My first stop, I'm on the windward side of the ridge and can't hear anything. I stupidly stay an hour anyhow, as I's seen multiple toms here back in deer season (late Jan/early Feb). I relocate to the lee side, better conditions, but I hear nothing there either. I did some cutting with an old Lohman box both spots. These public land birds likely have been called to alot. There's birds here, I see a hen from the road on the way out.

-hunt #16, 22April
I wake up late, and hunt state property again, same locale, as it's easy access and close. I'm late enough that I don't make it to where I want to be at light, so I stop short and listen from the access road twice on the way in, hearing nothing. Once back where I wanted to start, I listen from the ridge top for over two hours, lounging comfortably, snoozing now and then and run the crow call rather than any turkey noise. It's cold, but still, sound should carry well, but I hear not a peep. See another hen, some hen tracks.
As this is so close to home, I can run over here and roost in the afternoons, perhaps I will eventually hear a gobble.

Page generated in 0.03916 seconds with 8 queries