View Single Post
Old April 29, 2024, 06:41 AM   #6
stagpanther

Net speculation seems to be that Hornady would logically be coming out sooner or later with their own cartridge optimized for the new generation of high SD 257 bullets. All I've done is shot just a few loads of this 134 eldm--but it's apparent to me that it's a winner--and I would have to think they will follow shortly with a ELDX for hunting. Some think the cartridge might resemble the 25-7mm PRC, which is the midrange size of the PRCs.

I think that if and when they do introduce a new 25--it will be closer to the 25 PRC blackjack for several reasons. The realm of 3200 or more fps will likely be limited to specialty shooters who really want/need a 1000 yd or more 25 gun which the new 25 bullets are certainly very well capable of--but there will be that overbore penalty limiting the size of that market IMO. The cartridges I just shot above I loaded out to a COAL of 3.925--which resulted in a fairly long jump to lands--even so all three test charges scored under MOA at mild loads; so I think that might point logically to development of an optimized version similar to the 25 PRC blackjack but fits the confines of a short action. That would potentially have a very big and new market niche for a high-performing 25 that won't have you replacing the barrel after 700 shots or so.

Anyway--these are exciting times for the .257.

Page generated in 0.02416 seconds with 7 queries