View Single Post
Old May 5, 2024, 11:30 AM   #44
bamaranger

hunt #25

-hunt #25, 4May
The evening previous I take short ride onto state property to listen and roost in the evening. When I stop the old Toyota to go back and sit on the tailgate I look down, and there's a set of gobbler tracks! A sign from the heavens........ I spend the last hour of daylight listening, owling a little bit, and hear nothing. But I'm back in the morning.

I park 1/2 mi or so from my where I was last evening and walk down the gravel road in the twilight, and as the day grows, I see more and more turkey tracks, and no small number of gobbler tracks mixed in. I decide to hunt the road as far as is legally possible. I set up in the pines near a WMA roads intersection nearby, feeling just a little stupid, my lines of sight are terrible. But all those tracks don't lie, there's birds here. I'd seen a good flock just right here as well preseason, obviously they are still in the area. At 8:00Am I hear a single gobble, way off in the valley below on private land and that is all. An AL Dept of Cons enforcement vehicle roars past twice and I'm glad to see it. Maybe they can deter the number of roadhunters.

Page generated in 0.02160 seconds with 8 queries