View Single Post
Old January 11, 2010, 12:44 PM   #9
azar92

I've owned a Shooting Chrony Beta Master for a little over two years. I haven't had the number of issues in two years that you had in the first two days. Shooting Chrony's also have a reputation for being a bit on the finicky side, but nothing that would compare to your experience. I think I had a grand total of 1 shot that failed to register in the first year I owned it. The first time it was used was in temperature ranging in the 20's (it was also used this past Saturday in 29F weather without a hitch). The only times I've really had issues was when 1) I put the diffusers on when it was nice and sunny and some dark clouds moved in and killed all good light. 2) It was late in the evening when the sun was at such an angle so sunlight was directly hitting the sensors. 3) I had the chronograph set too low and so was firing too high over the sensors (still got readings, just not as accurate as they should have been). Probably 90-95% of the time, it works flawlessly.

From what I've read though, most chronographs can have issues if the lighting isn't ideal, most chronographs use the older serial port connections, and most chronographs have crappy manuals. I know all three apply to my Shooting Chrony Beta Master. The manual appears almost like a photocopy, is poorly worded, and the layout is pretty blah. That being said, they never say "You'll figure it out" or have condescending or sarcastic remarks in it. It still sounds better than your Pact.

The interface to using the Shooting Chrony's is also a bit on the archaic, unintuitive side but once you figure it out it's not a big deal. If I were to replace my chronograph I think the only thing I'd consider is the CED M2. I'm happy enough with mine that I don't plan to upgrade though...

Page generated in 0.05012 seconds with 8 queries