View Single Post
Old June 19, 2008, 11:45 AM   #13
Tennessee Gentleman

mvpel,
I have written on this topic before and received lots of criticism for my opinion. But so be it, it is my opinion and worth as much as anyone else's. I happen to like and agree with the argument that Alan Gura made that established weapons in common use by civilians for self-defense/hunting/ traget etc. While I like machineguns and other NFA type weapons and do not wish for them to be banned (even though some here think full auto weapons have been by the FOPA "86) I have no problem with them being heavily regulated and in some cases banned. Gura was also criticized for conceding that point but I liked his answer. If you don't like the 1934 NFA then repeal the law. He didn't think and I don't think you will get any public or court support to legalize without restrictions those NFA weapons. I maintain that those weapons were designed for military use and are not suitable for civilian self-defense and so I don't think the second amendment applies. My two cents.

I also believe that there are some people (felons and mentally defectives) who should not be allowed to legally own firearms. I support the Background Checks and believe that those who commit felonies should not ever own firearms unless they have their civil rights restored which I think you can do, but have to pay money and hire a lawyer. My feeling there: "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time" part of the "time" is you do without some civil rights including holding public office and voting. I also think that Mental Health professionals should be required to enter into the NICs system or otherwise notify the system about those who are judged mentally defective and they should be punished if they don't do it. I think the NICs needs be be really kept up to date as much as possible.

That ought to start a good discussion BTW I am a lifetime NRA member and CCW. I have been shooting for over 40 years. I just say that to let you know that I am not a left wing or gunhater.

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; June 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.03889 seconds with 8 queries