View Single Post
Old January 20, 2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Hog Buster

Super-Duper-Whamo-Ammo

Over the years, just before deer season, I have been asked many, many times to sight in someone's rifle. With a 100 yard range in the rear of the house and my being always ready to try a different rifle, I never refuse. Of course they're all told that they should sight in their own rifle, but most times getting it in the black becomes my job. Then they burn a few rounds and leave happy. Needless to say not all are great shots.

When they arrive with their weapon of choice it's usually accompanied by some expensive brand of Super-Duper Whamo ammo. When asked why their choice of ammo, most say they want the best and most accurate. Which leads me to the point of this post.

In the past I just got them in the black and let it go at that. However I noticed that some of this Super-Duper stuff didn't group that well. I always figured that it was just a poor match between rifle and ammo, but lately I've tried something different.

After getting in the black with the Super-Duper stuff I break out a few rounds of my reloads and fire them. In many cases the groups tighten up. The impact point usually changes, but groups are better. Now my reloads aren't tailored for their guns, they are for mine, and they are definitely not bench rest quality.

This phenomena has happened more times than I can count, at least dozens and with quite a few different brands and calibers of Super-Duper factory ammo. Which begs the question, just how good is this stuff? Is it really better or just great salesmanship? Do any of you use it and can you tell a difference?

I haven’t bought a box of factory ammo in years so don’t intend to run out and pay the price of this fancy stuff just to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe some of you have experienced this, an inquiring mind wants to know.

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries