View Single Post
Old January 21, 2010, 12:19 AM   #17
Nnobby45

Quote:
think the differnce is in the bullet. I have found that most of my rifles shoot plain jane soft bullets better than say bonded or copper bullets. I believe all the handloaders I know would agree.
Where accuracy is concerned, the bullet is probably the most important. Assuming the rifle is built right.

Hunting bullets are GENERALLY constructed with terminal performance as the primary concern. At least where large or dangerous critters are concerned. Accuracy has to meet a certain standard, but is secondary. Nosler Partition, and various bonded bullets come to mind.

Not easy (or necessary) to build a super accurate bullet that breaks the shoulder of a large critter and have the front expand in a controlled fashion, while the rear holds together and drives the bullet deep.

A good bullet designed for hunting that is also very accurate is the Nosler Ballistic Tip, and that's a good bullet to start with if you're a handloader who wants to get a good idea of a rifle's potential.

Some bullets, like the Sierra Spitzer with it's older technology, can still be very accurate perform well on the game they were designed for. Their 150 gr. has been a favorite deer bullet for decades launced from my '06.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 21, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Page generated in 0.04037 seconds with 8 queries