View Single Post
Old April 27, 2002, 11:50 PM   #23
H&H,hunter

Sodapop,
I think your missing the point of accurate long range field shooting. Without precise measurment of range it is impossible to accuratley shot long range, period. The reason for this is that past 400 yds bullet drop increases drastically. the difference in drop between 550 yds and 600 yds is about 18" or roughly the chest width of a black bear. Guys who do shot accuratley at range all have one thig in common, a good range finder. then we must figure all of the other variables. I still don't think you got the piont about air density temprature hunidity ETC play a huge part in it. IE where your gun shots at 600 yds today may well be entirely different tommorrow. Once I get my elevation and windage at the range I can do way better than 10 moa at 500 yrads. But thatb is at the range under controlled conditions no stress and tons of time. Not the case out inthe field. Noit to mention that an 06 hardley carries the energy to be poppin bears with at 600 yds.
I'm not trashing you sodapop I'm just trying to get you to reconsider shooting a Game animal at that distance unless you've really got your stuff wired tight.
Lets put it this way, I know alot of really good hunters some of whom are military sniper qualified and some of whom have hunted all over the world for lots of stuff. I don't think any of them would admitt to taking a first shot at that range on a big game animal.
Finally when I asked you if you had ever shot anything at that range I was refering to animals not paper. I bust rocks at 800 to 1000 yards all the time it's just not the same thing.

Page generated in 0.04246 seconds with 8 queries