View Single Post
Old November 24, 2000, 08:12 PM   #17
Robert Teesdale

Reloading, brass, and loads

To All:

Well... I must say that over thousands and thousands of rounds, it has been completely and utterly PROVEN that each flyer, in each group I've ever shot, came from a case that was just a tiny bit less shiny than the others.

No doubt about it. I think the flyer fairy can get a better grip on the grime. (Did I just write that?)

On the serious side, my father and I spent three years getting the perfect load set up for my favorite rifle. And since folks here will appreciate it, permit me to dispense the recipe....

Model 700 Remington bolt action .243 Winchester
Leupold Golden Ring 20x
Federal brass only (I swear it didn't like Winchester)
Neck sized, but length sized ONLY after 3rd reload per case
37.8 grains of 4064 powder
75 grain HPBT Sierra bullet
Primers... gotta ask Dad.

Did it take forever to figure out? Three years, as I said. Was it worth it?

Well... if going shooting with your Dad two or three times a week for three years is fun, then hell yes! And the load is spanking perfect for that rifle.

From 100 yards, minute of angle was a joke. I'd be irritated and disappointed in myself if I got more than one hole for a five-shot group.

A friend who took the rifle shooting once was offered $5,000 for the rifle by a guy who was shooting a custom-made, gorgeous rifle with a custom 36-power scope. Couldn't hit anything with it. Same caliber as my off-the-shelf Remington.

My friend gracefully declined.

Those were definitely the days....

Now, having said all that - if you think that all that effort and testing and practice combined, is going downrange from a piece of brass any less shiny than Britney Spear's eyes after a (never mind)... you've got another thought coming.

Best regards,

Robert Teesdale
[email protected]
http://www.teesdale.com

Page generated in 0.02796 seconds with 8 queries