View Single Post
Old June 11, 2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Sevens

I don't buy any surplus ammo and I never have-- not because I rail against it, but because I have only one firearm in my collection that would make great use of it, and that's my K98 and I've already been down the corrosive ammo road and I won't EVER go down it again. My handloads in Winchester brass work pretty damn well, though!

But what I've noticed it that now you see milsurp type ammo being sold in such places as "The Sportsman's Guide" and it occured to me that it's starting to get popular-- folks see & read "surplus" and they equate it with "screaming deal on large lots of leftover ammo" and frankly, it's just not a great deal. Popular? Marketing coup?

IMO, a lot of it is suspect in origin and make-up, a lot of it is in steel and bardan primed cases, and none of it interests me.

If I owned and enjoyed an SKS (currently, I do not own nor to I desire to own one), then I'd certainly be busting hump to find good deals on surplus .30 hammer & sickle. And not that I'm a tree hugger or pointing fingers, but steel case and berdan primed surplus schitt is absolutely polluting the holy hell out of any/every public outdoor shooting range I've ever seen, and it's worse now than it's ever been.

I police my own rimfire brass if I'm able. Some rifle ranges, you damn near slip & trip on the mounting piles of this surplus crap.

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 8 queries