View Single Post
Old July 16, 2007, 04:20 PM   #11
JB696

Maybe I can cheer you up a little bit. I just bought a new Ruger Super Blackhawk. All five of the grip frame screws are buggered up. Where the hammer fits into the back of the frame in the "fired" position, the hammer hit the edge of the frame on one side and made two big dents in the edge (of the frame). This happened during assembly or during the factory test firing. To correct the problem, they ground off one side of the hammer about a sixteenth of an inch so it wouldn't hit. On the left side where the grip frame meets the frame, above the trigger, the edge of the frame got bunged up, leaving a nasty gap about an inch long. Whoever assembled the rear sight had a screwdriver a little bit too wide. It scraped off the black finish all around the windage and elevation screws. Where the ejector housing should fit tightly against the barrel, somebody accidentally ground off one edge at the front, leaving a nasty gap about a half inch long. Side-play in the cylinder at lockup is .002. But the endshake (front to rear) is .009. The barrel will have to be screwed in one more turn to take care of that. Which is good, because then maybe the front sight can be lined up, instead of cocked to the left. There is a flat spot on the side of the barrel where somebody accidentally hit it with a grinder. I think this can be blended in where it doesn't show too much. So how does it shoot? Low and to the right. So what will it take to fix this gun? About $200.
- five new grip frame screws
- new hammer
- new ejector housing
- new rear sight assembly
- mill bottom of frame off .030
- refit grip frame
- set back barrel

So instead of buying it, why not just send it back to the distributor and get another one? Been there, several times. The next one is usually worse. Timing problems, rough barrel bore, nicks and gouges that can't be polished out, notchy triggers, etc. etc. Send it back to Ruger? You've got to be kidding. I wouldn't let those monkees change the oil on my car. So why didn't I just wait until I could find a nice older model? One made back when Ruger gave a damn about quality. Stupidity......sheer stupidity.

Page generated in 0.02374 seconds with 8 queries