View Single Post
Old February 8, 2006, 04:43 PM   #13
deadin

I've done a little research into SLA Marshall's "Ratio of Fire" where I believe your figures came from. There seems to be quite a bit of debate in just how accurate and truthful his numbers are. I would question exactly what was his sample for the statement "10 to 15% of WW2 vets actually fired their rifles at the enemy."
For example, if I were trying to support my supposition that "Indoctrination being a key. Man-shaped targets in lieu of circular bulls-eyes, pop up and knockdown reactionary targets, etc." , I might not mention that my interview sample included a cross section of all WW2 vets. Only a small percentage of those who served in WW2 actually saw ground combat. Using a sample of ground combat vets only would probably not support his theory. As for SEA showing a high percentage, same story. Want to support a theory, only interview those that were in combat. (Easier to do with 'Nam as there were no "front lines" and most of those in theater were exposed to combat at one time or another.)
This is just another example of how statistics can be warped to fit an individuals agenda. (Just look at the numbers the "anti's" come up with.)

As for kids becoming operant conditioned by video games, this is scary. Are we raising a generation of airheads that can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality? After reading post by some of our "younger" members, I'm afraid we are.

Sorry to be so negative, but I definitely do not believe everything I read.

(It's Post Trauma Stress Syndrome)

Dean

Page generated in 0.04368 seconds with 8 queries