View Single Post
Old February 10, 2010, 01:16 AM   #75
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
A large part of the casing is unsupported in the Glocks. This leads to case failure and "kabooms".
It isn't a problem with good quality ammunition loaded to industry specifications and used in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.

By the way, the picture of the damaged barrel is the result of an overpressure round, not a simple case failure. A case will fail if a round is overpressure, but a simple case failure will not damage the barrel. A simple case failure is the result of a faulty case, early opening of the action or inadequate case support, not overpressure. It may blow the magazine out of the gun and, in some instances may cause some other minor damage but generally shouldn't structurally damage the gun, certainly not the major steel components of the firearm.

The barrel is MUCH stronger than the brass and will not fail simply because a case blows out. The fact that the steel of the barrel is damaged is ample evidence that there was considerable overpressure when that round fired.

The idea that a tiny bit of brass is all that allows the chamber to keep from rupturing or tearing is not realistic. If the chamber is damaged structurally then there was an overpressure event and the fact that the case failed too isn't surprising given that it's much weaker than the chamber is.
Quote:
Don't know on that one. Wouldn't I see a bulge on some casing if it's on the edge? My casings look Ok.....even the aluminum ones.
Yes, if your chamber has inadequate support or if your recoil spring is getting very weak then you will likely notice that the brass is getting stressed. If you're not seeing any symptoms then it's unlikely that your chamber has inadequate support even if it has less support than some other chambers.
Quote:
But I don't think set-back in the .45ACP will cause a kaboom. It does increase pressure, but not enough to give big problems. The .45 is more forgiving for set-back than the .40 S&W.
The 45ACP is more forgiving of setback, but I don't think it's possible to say that it won't ever kaboom as a result of setback. A heavy for caliber bullet load that is loaded on the hot side and has a decent amount of setback isn't something you want to fire in any caliber.

Page generated in 0.02860 seconds with 8 queries