View Single Post
Old January 19, 2002, 10:57 AM   #1
Timothy

Suggestion.......for the vocabulary impaired!

I have a suggestion:
Let me preface it by saying as a relatively new member without a large number of posts, I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all the posts I've read and from all those members who have patiently answered my questions. As embarrassing as it may be to admit, although I feel I am not alone, I often come across terms, abbreviations, and acronyms of which I do not know the meaning. What I must do is read enough posts until I figure it out or by chance find someone's post wherein they have used an abbreviation and followed with an explanation or 'spell-it-out" in parenthesis.

My suggestion:
Provide an area on TFL for a glossary of terms and abbreviations that members could quickly referrer to as they come across something unfamiliar. I don't know about everyone else, but when I encounter an unknown abbreviation etc., I get hung up on it and loose the continuity of the post. Even the new-age electronic vocabulary abbreviations could be included for us old geezers. Filling the glossary would be easy. As each member uses one of these literary short-cuts, he/she could check the glossary and if is not there, put it in! Yes, a 'search' feature would be necessary to enter the abbreviation and maybe even the first couple words of longhand if you are looking for an abbreviation to use.

Boy, will I be embarrassed if this already exists! Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Tim

Page generated in 0.03602 seconds with 8 queries