View Single Post
Old October 4, 2004, 02:45 PM   #20
tire iron

I have some trigger time behind an M96 - and here are my impressions.

It is not a mature weapons system yet, although it does have promise. But there are some annoying little 'glitches' that I am not entirely comfortable with. Such as:

1. I have seen the mag release button fly off (it is held on via a small roll pin, which can and will walk off) - it should have been designed exactly like the AR unit - a 'screw on' type arrangement. It also lacks the 'fence' protector that the AR has.

2. The 'M1913 Picatinny rail' on top has the mounting screws in such a way that it interferes with mounting optics! One must have one's EOTech 'modified' (via a mill or even a demel tool) in order to mount it on the 'rail'. This is unacceptable.

3. The mag well of the sheet steel lower is not flared enough to give as fast of mag change as an AR.

4. The selector is in a spot that is 'not right'. They placed it more like the selectors on HK's rifles (which are NOT known for their 'ergonomics') instead of where the AR selector is placed. Why? I don't know. The AR reigns supreme in the area of ergonomics - so it makes no sense to me why they didn't copy that from the AR.

5. The pins that hold the rear reciever on (ala HK) can walk out also, and once out can be lost. They should be 'captive' like the AR reciever pins.

6. One example I shot would keep 5 shots in a 6" circle at 100 yards. I have had AK's shoot better than that. Another example I shot kept 5 rounds in a 1.5" group. So - who knows what the M96 you get will shoot like.

On the plus side - in "theory" it has the potential to be more 'reliable' than the AR series, as it uses a modified AK/FN gas operating system. So cleaning the upper reciever is not as much 'work' as cleaning an AR. (With regards to reliability, my M4gery goes through at LEAST 1,000 of Wolf ammo between cleanings - so any 'theoretical' advantage the M96 has with regards to reliability is lost in the cold light of day.)

For right handed operators, the 'charging handle/actuator' is very well placed, similar to the excellent FN FAL. One can keep the rifle in one's shoulder whilst manipulating the charging handle. (Note that the charging handle is non-reciprocating and lacks any 'forward assist' capability.)

No rifle in existance is 'perfect' - but I had hoped that the M96 would have started out 'closer' than it actually has. It has a way to go to even be on 'par' with the M4, let alone surpass it.

As always, YMMV.

cheers

tire iron

Page generated in 0.03693 seconds with 8 queries