View Single Post
Old June 16, 2008, 08:05 PM   #20
JP Sarte

This is the third time I have posted this on TFL since April of this year but here goes nothing:

I posted this on 04/28/08 here on TFL in response to a similar thread:

Not really down on Remington as much as I am down on a company that no longer seems to produce an acceptable product. I look at this way. If people want to spend their hard earned money based on name recognition, well so be it. That is everyone's right. But I am getting too old and too tight with my dollars to go that route. I wan't results.

Just a quick story. I bought Remington model 700's all my life until I recently had a number of feeding and ejecting problems that they refused to deal with (four BDL's and one SPS within a year - all new). A manager at the company (John Lotion) told me that if cases would not eject I should "tip" the gun to have the case fall out. I am no Navy SEAL or Force Recon type, but I have jogged a few times around the track. That's just not right. I know better.

Add to that, rude customer service and terrible shop service and Remington doesn't look so good anymore. BDL's are above $700.00 now.

I could be wrong but everytime I talk to somebody at Remington I get the feeling they believe it's their birthright to have my business. The kind of arrogance that comes with a company that thinks it's an automatic that I will buy from them because their name is "Remington".

Companies like Sako, Steyr, Walther, etc. simply flat out produce great products. Period. Most of those firms mentioned are on the high end in terms of price but Tikka is a great example of a well built very functional rifle at an excellent price point (T3 Lite Stainless $525.00). Don't get me wrong, all companies have problems and make mistakes. Remington just seems to be having it's Lion Share of both these days.

Unless your like a day trader when it comes to buying and selling rifles, buy quality to begin with. You will never be sorry in the long run. Your Grandchildren will thank you for it.

Let me say first that since I am well past the age of 12 I do not believe in purchasing a product based on name recognition alone: i.e. "My Remington is better than your Winchester" nonsense. And although I am far from an expert, I have many years of USMC / LE experience so I feel comfortable in saying I am not an idiot either. Cleaning and maintaining the weapons in question cannot be the issue since they were new and thouroughly cleaned upon arrival at my humble home.

If your Remington Model 700 has never had this problem I am happy for you. I have had a string of bad luck with the model lately.

Look folks, in my case blaming this malfunction on operator error is not even close to logical given the circumstances. The chances of five brand new model 700's having the same problem, all bought from different dealers at different times is astronomical.

It would be akin to winning the lottery in five states at the same time while being struck by lightning. Could not happen. Would not happen. Remington has a problem that they simply refuse to admit or address (remember the safety misfires in the 1980's and 1990's?).

Poor workmanship, poor quality control, and terrible customer service are the norm. If you think they are the best thing since sliced bread, canned beer, and sex. I am all for you. That however, has not been my experience in the last few years.

Recommend what you would like to whomever you wan't to. For now, until they clean up their act, I say "DONT BUY REMINGTON".

JP

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries