View Single Post
Old January 23, 2006, 09:44 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Art that's what I thought. The regs actually say "shotgun, no larger than BB". I therefore *thought* that surely must be a misprint; it means to say "no smaller than BB", right? So I call the game warden himself today that manages the areas in question - he says only .22 and .22 magnum, and shotgun, BB or smaller. No .17hmr either. Not sure why. Here it is in black and white.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/huntregs10.htm

Look down to about the 9th paragraph, "shotshell size restrictions": "If hunting hogs with a shotgun, no person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest hogs using shot larger than conventional BB (.180 in. dia.)."

Combine this rule with a no centerfire rifle rule (for some reason), and that's what you end up with. Yes, they're dipsticks, it sounds like. Perhaps the rule is to keep deer poachers out who would just say "oh, I'm hunting hogs with this here ought six", then carry out the deer when the warden is not around. Either that or it's safety concerns vis a vis nearby lake camping areas. Or both. Probably more of the former, since you can shoot hogs during the deer primitive and deer gun seasons with the equipment appropriate for those seasons. The no-rifle rule only applies after deer season. And apparently (surely) you can use a rifle of any sort when on private lands - this is just public lands, and perhaps just *certain* public lands. Others may allow rifles - I dunno.

But yeah, I say they deserve to be ridiculed/chastised, because that is clearly an illogical & unethical rule. Have at 'em!

Page generated in 0.03698 seconds with 8 queries