View Single Post
Old January 24, 2006, 11:06 AM   #19
Wild Bill Bucks

I Live in Oklahoma,and these regs. are why I don't do much hunting on the game management areas.

SOLUTION: Get with local agriculture dept.(County agent) and find out if he knows private farmers or ranchers who are having hog problems.
Many land owners around the refuges hate the regs to because it creates a safe haven for the hogs, therefore making their hog problems worse.
If you have access to a county landowners map, it will give you the name of the land owners around the refuges, and how much property they own.

Be prepared to be turned down when you ask to hunt because they don't know you, but if you are persistant, you will find one or two of them that will let you hunt.
PLEASE be pleasent and civil to them when you call and don't get your feelings hurt because they won't let you hunt. They have all had those bad experiences with hunters who shoot their livestock and cut their fences.
Farming and ranching in Oklahoma is a hard business to make a living at, and they don't need any "hunter made" problems on top of an already hard exsistance.

I ask as many in person as I can because it lets you have the opportunity to be face to face with them and I think it gives you a better chance of hunting on them than by telephone.

When I do get the opportunity to hunt on them, I will try to find some small something I can do to help them ( like wiring a loose strand of wire that may be loose on their fence) and bringing it to their attention. That always leaves them with a good attitude toward you and your hunting and almost always results in a return hunting trip for me.

Page generated in 0.03240 seconds with 8 queries