View Single Post
Old August 9, 2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Fred Hansen

• Lesson I: Introduction to Defensive Shooting
  • Lesson II: Basic Defensive Handgun Skills
  • Lesson III: Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership, and the Use of Deadly Force
  • Lesson IV: Strategies for Home Safety and Responding to a Violent Confrontation
  • Lesson V: Selecting a Handgun for Self-Defense
  • Lesson VI: Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
  • Lesson VII: Course Review and Examination
  • etc.

That's the basic outline for the class. It's a good place to start. We teach basic safety, and common gun handling techniques. Not a lot of point in spending $1,500 dollars for an advanced class with next to no experience - in my opinion at least.

Many students find the advice about creating a plan to have somewhere "safe" to retreat to in their home while they call for the police very useful. It's especially useful since we also teach them to have a firearm at the ready so they may defend themselves in the interim.

The legal aspects of the course are covered by a person with standing in the court system, meaning that the person teaching that particular portion of the class must be an attorney, or a LEO that is actively employed within that jurisdiction.

Our local Firearms Training Group has enough instructors with enough handguns to give the students a reasonable ability to discover whether they prefer revolvers over autos. We also give them advice about which local gunstores/ranges offer them the ability to rent different firearms before they make a final decision.

We give our students an overview of the various competitive shooting sports that will aid them in honing their skills. Locally we also encourage them to join us at our club's informal shoots.

We can't/won't/don't teach any ninja skills, but we do a rather thorough job of leaving the average firearm owner better off than when they started. Or at least that's what my students tell me.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them. Good luck!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore

Page generated in 0.03022 seconds with 8 queries