View Single Post
Old April 14, 2001, 08:21 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The NEF/H&R singles are tough, reliable and a lot of gun for the money, but...

While a target load doesn't kick much, 100 or so in the course of a single shooting session do. Last one of these I lifted weighed maybe 6 1/4 lbs, and was a 12 ga chambered for 3" shells.

Where the H&R shines is on missions where it's carried a lot and shot a little. I recall many good days of my youth with a 16 ga version, that took everything from quail to geese. But the idea of shooting 100 rounds with that crooked stock and weight that's a gross violation of the Rule of 96 gives me qualms.

One definition of a "Good" shotgun might be one that doesn't wear out before we do. Some pump/auto guns that may qualify as long lived would include the Model 97 and 12 Winchesters, the Remington 870,the 1100, the Ithaca 37, the A-5 Browning,etc. All, except for the lightweight Ithaca, would work fine for trap or any other high volume clay sport, suitably set up for the game.

If you've "Good" shotguns, it's unlikely you'll shoot enough in one lifetime to wear one out. And the idea of having good shotguns and not shooting them is unsettling.

Of course, if you've got the missing Parker Invincible, you may not want to run a truckload of shells through it every season. But a standard model shotgun of good make can and should be shot extensively w/o harm, allowing for common sense in the owner and some decent maintenance...

Page generated in 0.02869 seconds with 8 queries