View Single Post
Old September 9, 2001, 04:13 PM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Did Someone Say, "Africa, Leopard & Blaser Scout"?!!! [Long]

Yup...me, about a 6 months ago. I challenged some of the better engineers and craftsmen in the business to make it happen and they did. Engineering by Ashley Emerson, Crafting by David Clay (DRC Custom), who makes the coolest breakdown 45-70's on the market, Ammunition by Mad Dog and Outfitting by Danie van Graan of Engonyameni, RSA. (Insanity for the vision: yours truly.) (More on the 45-70 in another thread.)

Putting a forward mount on a Blaser .338 WinMag is no simple task. Ashley's answer was to machine a 4" length of shotgun barrel (I think Randy Weaver donated this...only kidding Randy) into a sleeve that fits over the rear of the Blaser barrel. To this sleeve a length of Weaver rail (not Randy) was silver soldered by David. The sleeve was then locked in place by scoring the barrel and epoxy-setting. The results can be seen
here

The forward mount scope concerned us in 3 areas:
1) Would field of view be diminished that far forward?
2) Would the mount be bomb-proof?
3) Would the sleeve diminish accuracy?

Asnwers:
1) Field of view is not affected. An optometrist friend tells me that the model to think of for a scope is that of a projection TV. Acuity problems may be created with distance, but not field of view. This bears more investigation, as it flies in the face of my college physics training. However, seeing is believing.

2) David and Ashley used the epoxy due to concerns that too much heat would be required on that super hard Blaser barrel for silver solder. With more than 600 rounds of 250 grain, full house loads thru it, the scope has yet to be resighted. Bomb Proof? Ashley has declared it "Ashley Proof"!

3) It remains a sub-minute gun in my hands and punches one ragged hole when handed to Ashley Emerson. This is far better than I need in the field, but comforting never the less. With the barrel now broken in, even heating by high fire volume fails to affect the accuracy (40 rounds without cleaning and it still shot <1")!

The Blaser weighs in at just over 7 lbs, scoped and loaded; it's handy to carry and comfortable to shoot with the Pachmeyr Decellerator. The straight pull is very fast and short stroking nearly impossible. Thought has been given to cutting the barrel from 24" to 22", but we're awaiting tests on this from Mad Dog. Most important, it cheeks perfectly...note how low the scope is mounted as opposed to the abominations in scope height coming out of too many factories these days. This is how glass should be done!

More pics:
Scope Base and Sleeve
Scope Base Detail

While the Blaser Scout will be my plains game weapon for three weeks in Tanzania, beginning Sept 28, a forward mount scope simply will not do in low light conditions. Since I have Leopard on the ticket, we need another rifle....or the same Blaser. Removal of the Scout Scope and installation of standard base, holding a Leupold 50mm Leopard scope is about 90 seconds. The result:
.338 Blaser for Leopard and
Closeup of Leopard Scope

(The Scout Scope can be mounted further rearward if one is willing to permanently loose the ability to mount a conventional scope).

Seeing as it sucks to be me, rumor has it that I've also got Lion on the ticket. Colonel Cooper frowns on taking lion with a scope. I'd prefer to avoid it also. So we need another rifle...or the same Blaser. By purchasing the Safari Kit, one gets a heavier forend, iron sighted safari caliber barrel and 1lb, screw in recoil reducer. I opted for the .416 Remington Magnum. The results of about 3 minites work in the field can be found
Here
with a bit more detail
Here
and an over the top view
Here.

It's neat to have cool stuff, but if one can't pick it up and take it with him, what good is it?
The Pelican Solution (Leopard Scope not included)

Did I mention we have Buff on the ticket? Yup, three of 'em!!! For that, the .416 would do, but not with nearly the style of a 45-70 breakdown. Look for pictures of David and Ashley's work on that next week....along with the 500 Linebaugh backup pistol with customized Lou Alessi Leather accessories.

Am I pumped or what?!
Rich

Last edited by Rich Lucibella; September 9, 2001 at 04:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.03950 seconds with 8 queries