View Single Post
Old March 15, 2009, 02:12 AM   #1
WagonM

A barrel (safety?) conern: 870 Express

Newbie here... I have a question regarding an used 26" barrel I bought last week.

The 26" barrel is removed from a "Cabelas exclusive" Magnum EXpress (as I was told), I have checked with Remington prior to the purchase, they said that it should fit my 870 Express synthetic (with came with an extended mag , hence is also came with a magazine clamp).

The 26" barrel looks barely used and seems to be in perfect condition, however I noted a fore/aft play after it is installed with the extended mag tube installed ... not a lot of play but enough to give click-click sound as I push and pull the barrel.

However, after I attached the mag-clamp, the clamp is able to keep the 26" barrel in place: no more movement, no more click-click-click.

I am not sure if this is related to the extended Mag tube which does not screw in deep enough to keep the barrel in position... but I have already screwed down the mag tube all the way down to the point that it cannot go any further.

One difference I notice between the 18" and the 26" barrels: the 18" has the detent ball while the 26" does not. Will this make a different when these barrels is used with the extend mag tube?

As a side question: will the "standard" mag cap be able to screw down more than the coupling on the extended mag tube? Could it be the reason that the mag tube couple does not go down deep enough than a standard Mag cap? I don't think 26" is designed to use with an extended mag tube though ...

Although with the mag clamp installed, everything is tighty tight, but is there any safety concern to shoot this barrel? Is it "typical" to have some play / movement ? Or should I fore go the extended mag tube get change to standard mag (and cap) when I shoot the 26" barrel?

My 18" original barrel has zero play at all, it is tight-tight (just because it is still very new?)

Tks in advance for your input.

Page generated in 0.03942 seconds with 8 queries