View Single Post
Old August 11, 2009, 05:27 AM   #15
Uncle Buck

Man, I can relate to this thread. Someone started small fires on the tables at our local open range. Looked like they intentionally shot the support posts holding the targets, and they must haul the trash in! No one can be that messy in one range session. I finally gave up. Last time I was there, I was looking around, figuring someone had to have posted a sign that said: "Idiots, Please shoot here and ruin the only free range facility you have for 25 miles."

When I was a youngster I broke almost all the windows out of the Church Parish House. (My dad was the preacher and he was busy in the church and I was bored.) One of the neighbors saw me doing it and called dad. Dad did not say "it's OK" or "I'll pay for the damage."
I worked all summer long to pay for those windows and if memory serves me right, did not sit down for a week. When the rest of my buddies got to go swimming, I got to go to work. Movies? Nope, I was too tired from working and had no money, I had to pay the church back for those windows. I remember the final payment I made to the church. The church secretary handed me back something like .25 cents and said I had finally paid for the windows.
Nowadays: My father would be charged with neglect (for allowing me to wander around aimlessly while he was working) and abuse (for both the whupping, which I deserved, and the fact that he made me pay for those windows). I would get free counseling (Because it is obvious that if he made me pay for those windows, I was an unloved child) and be able to get SSI payments (because I would be scarred for life by that traumatic incident) and I would have a bunch of people telling me "It's OK, you do not have to take personal responsibility for anything."
To this day I cringed at the sound of broken glass and think immediately think of those windows. I called my dad awhile back and told him that my brothers and sisters were going to have to sue him. Laughing, he asked why, I told him it was because we figured him and Mom had taught us personal responsibility and it just did not seem right in today's society when nothing is anyone's responsibility.

Page generated in 0.02493 seconds with 8 queries