View Single Post
Old December 21, 2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Gewehr98

I'd rate the Lapua Scenar bullets with the Sierra MatchKings.

In either bullet, the hollow point is only a remnant left after the copper jacket is drawn and formed from the base first, because target bullets want their bases formed uniformly for best accuracy. The tiny hollow point was never intended to function in expansion, nor was that style of bullet intended by the manufacturer to be used for hunting.

A buddy of mine used a 120gr 6.5mm Sierra MatchKing in a 6.5-06 to take a Texas deer about 10 years ago. The shot was good, but that target bullet whistled clean through the deer, and the exit wound was so small that there was a pitiful blood trail. We tracked that deer until well after dark, and began the search anew the next morning. We never retrieved the deer, and I was so peeved at my pal that I took the bolt from his rifle for a year as a lesson. He was an idiot for using a target bullet on deer, and I made him well aware of it.

If you want accuracy with proper hunting performance, there are many purposely-designed bullets, even by Lapua, that have high BC numbers and still offer excellent terminal performance.

Neural Misfires

Page generated in 0.03494 seconds with 8 queries