View Single Post
Old June 19, 2002, 04:58 AM   #22
Skorzeny

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLOSE THE BORDERS, BOTH OF THEM, NOW!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, but how are you gonna enforce it? There's a lot of desert out there, not to forget all those miles and miles of high mountain forest roads, many of them impassable in winter along the northern border. That's a lot of manpower.
Long ago, when I was a military officer for the country of my birth (long before I became a hot-blooded American male - by choice), I had the pleasure of running a command post of a heavily militarized "closed" border. It look an unbelievable amount of manpower and the complete militarization of the border area to about 5 KM depth and signficant militarization of about 25 KM depth (complete with patrols, dogs, barbed wires, motion detectors and "your identity card please" all night) to "close" that sector of the border. Even then there were still successful enemy infiltrators and other illicit traffic.

Even factoring in our country's superior technology, people who advocate complete border closures for the US have absolutely no idea on:

1. How much military manpower this will require (in the millions),
2. How much money this will cost (in the trillions of trillions),
3. How much this will completely alter the character of the border states (armed camps), and
4. How this will change the character of our society (very militaristic).

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.

Skorzeny

Page generated in 0.03776 seconds with 8 queries