View Single Post
Old January 12, 2010, 12:49 AM   #7
kilimanjaro

I'm a clean freak, so this may be more work than it needs to be, but I fill a Windex bottle with 50% water, 50% Windex, and a little ammonia. When all the windex is gone, I just use ammonia, it's much less in cost. Plug bore and spray down the bolt, interior of receiver, and chamber, as well as the barrel. Let sit for a bit, then clean with patches and Q-tips, then run brush through the barrel about 15 times, then patches, repeat brush, then patches until squeaky clean. Lightly oil all surfaces and put in storage. This is all done immediately upon getting home from the range or field. In the field, spray with some of the same solution and let it sit on the drive home, then clean it at home. Do not let the rifle sit even for a day.

That's for old corrosive, or suspected corrosive, ammunition. Generally, I've stopped using surplus except for 8mm, though. The rifles may be inexpensive, but they cost too much to take the risk of corrosion.

Got 2 M44s, both nice clean Izhevsk pieces, a Tula M38, and 3 M91/30s, all nice rifles. One of the M91's is all matching, the others are force-matched. The carbines are all matching. I'll get more M44s, I think they are going to be good collectibles and appreciate like the RC Mausers.

Page generated in 0.06428 seconds with 8 queries