View Single Post
Old October 20, 1999, 11:33 PM   #7
Paladin

Doc Rob,
I suppose you realize that you are the chief instigator for the longest running topic that I have personally seen since coming to this site. If one website has managed to turn me into a "cyber fugitive", this is the one.
On the old thread I noted where someone mentioned .41 Magnums. It has been my experience that anyone who possesses this caliber either knows a lot about guns or took some good advice from someone who did. And about 99% of those who possessed them were gents that should not be trifled with.
My brother (a deputy sheriff) recently retired his .45 Government to carry a very nice Model 57 he came up with. You need to examine and write about those who carry this caliber, they are usually a breed apart.
Another post concerned those guns that people buy but you never see them on the range. I give you the .22 Mini-Revolver! Many who have fallen under the influence of this strange beast surely watched too many episodes of "The Wild, Wild West" at one time or the other. You can put the thing in your boot, in your belt buckle, down the small of your back or suspend it from a necklace. James West would have loved it!
For some reason some of our local departments had an infection of ".22 Mini-Revolveritis", a queer malady that makes grown men go crazy by laying down good, negotiable Yankee currency and coming up with insane excuses of why they bought it or where they might conceal it. I raised an eyebrow when some ventured the claim that they would use it as a backup weapon (better than nothing...barely) but when they showed up at the range calling it their off-duty pistol you could only see my whites because my pupils were rolled up so far inside my head. But like any infection, if one survives the fever will break. In this case it was an episode concerning poor unfortunate who bought one to commit suicide with and had to shoot himself three times to get the job done. Such an unhappy (and messy) circumstance finally made several "police trained minds" snap on the fact that maybe a little serious reconsideration was in order. This was followed by a rather severe depreciation in the local mini-revolver market. Who said cops can't take a hint?

Take care and God bless to all,
Paladin

Page generated in 0.03913 seconds with 8 queries