View Single Post
Old October 21, 1999, 02:50 AM   #9
Long Path

I've been wondering about the mini-revolver and when it would show up here; I just didn't know anyone with one. I do hold that an inadequate gun is better than no gun, however...

I rather like the way this thing has morphed into the personalites at the range, beyond their guns...

-------------

Good Ole Boy Mk III: Drinks a good deal more Pearl Lite than he needs to. Cruises up in his work pickup that looks like it's about 20 years old until you realize it's a '98. Pulls out an abused 6 mm Remington 700 and complains he can't get it to shoot, asks you to try it, and makes you feel good when you print a half MOA group with it. Closer inspection the next time this occurs reveals the rifle to be spotlessly cleaned with a perfect bore, even though he claims he "never cleans it." You suspect he's a lot better shot than he lets on, and that he brings the rifle out to charge your ego. Also has a Sig that he plays precisely the same trick with.

Half-wit Stan, the 12-guage man: On private or unoccupied ranges, comes out just about every September to "pattern" his shotguns at the beginning of dove season. Actually blows away the backstops repeatedly. "Gosh, wonder what'll happen if I shoot that with 8 shot from 15 feet?" The same thing that happened last year, Stan. The same thing that happened the last 24 times you did it this year, Stan. If you see Stan doing this, please tell him to leave.

Once-a-year Deer-hunter guy: You will see this guy ONE time a year, sometime during the month of October. He often fires half of his rifle groups at 50 yards, and folks, you've seen better with that load and rifle combo from 200. But give him this-- he does check his zero before deer season, and he's usually pretty nice. Sometimes needs assistance when cleaning his rifle with little items like how to remove his bolt, or, say, a cleaning rod. Go ahead and help him. That kid that's with him doesn't deserve to inherit a pitted bore.

The Gamesman: Every group has "flyers." Only shoots 185's or lower through his .45, and is looking for a bigger AimPoint to put on top of it. His 12 lb. .308 with the 20X 60mm scope shoots 190 grainers into 1/4 MOA, but he could never take advantage of this on an unmeasured course, having to ask you if this is the 100 yard or the 200 yard backstops, so that he can dial in the correct number of clicks to adjust. Never saw him shoot "offhand." Really a good shot... if everything's the way he needs it... precisely.

Yahoo Guy: I have never, but NEVER seen anyone else capable of shooting off more rounds out of a lever action faster than this kid. How many hit the target? Now, that's not the important thing, here...!

The Prodigy: You may even have brought this shooter out, yourself. Just as likely to be female as male, you hand them your easiest "training" gun, which they then proceed to slowly widen one hole with, in the center of the bull. When you move back, you find they outshoot you. Handing them a harder-kicking "more serious" weapon, they proceed to make you look like an untrained neophyte by taming the gun and soon are putting rapid fire into tight clusters. You hate The Prodigy, and this is partly because he/she is at all times completely polite and humble, treating you as the expert while out-shooting you completely, and never noticing. The Prodigy is good at a LOT of other things, too... damn it...

More later...

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited October 21, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02901 seconds with 8 queries