View Single Post
Old October 21, 1999, 10:54 PM   #13
Long Path

DC--

The Emiliano Zapata that I knew was a thin, middle-aged to older man, hard and gaunt. He wore, of course, the almost uniform straw cowboy hat, with the sides rolled upwards sharply and a great deal of stains in it, though it shed rain and sun well. Emiliano had, when I saw him, a very, VERY old single-shot .22 LR rifle that was just about the ugliest, most beat-up firearm that I've ever seen in working order. The extractor stuck something aweful, and although I didn't see the bore, it would truly shock me to find that anything resembling rifling was still extent. There was NO blue left. The stock was, naturally, repaired. The sights were, naturally, crude at best, with the rear blade elevated with a splinter of wood. Never saw Emiliano fire at the same place twice, but he hit what he shot at, mostly. I think a lot of this had to do with target choice. He doesn't talk so much, but then, as my Spanish is not so good, and his English is probably only marginally better, we probably wouldn't get very far if we tried, anyway. Although he certainly makes enough to feed himself and family without the supplement, he has the air of a man who still hunts rabbits for sustainance, even now. Very likely that old rifle has accounted for more than a few venados in its time, but they weren't hunted for sport.

I wish my Spanish was better; I'd kinda like to know his story, now that I think of it.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited October 21, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.02782 seconds with 8 queries