View Single Post
Old January 3, 2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

There are a very few pistol powders, most notably H-110 and WW 296, that can cause major problems with light loads. They are hard to ignite, and it is believed that it is possible for them to have slight hangfires. If the main charge fully ignites after the bullet is lodged solidly in the forcing cone, bits of pistol are likely to go flying everywhere.

This is not a concern with faster burning powders, say Unique and faster. It is much less of a concern with lead bullets since they cannot lodge as solidly as jacketed. I appreciate Jim's explanation of Lee's practice. I knew it was odd, but not why. The other data sources seem to use a good work up point as a starting load rather than a true minimum charge for the powder.

With cast bullets, you can use very light loads of the fast powders. Sticking a jacketed bullet is a serious matter, but cast push out readily. If you are working with very light loads, you check the bore every time you don't see a hole appear in your target, anyway.

In the .44 Mag case, I have been down as low as 2.5 grains of Bullseye with a .434 RB. Makes a nice backyard plinker in a carbine. One of these years, I'll take it squirrel hunting.

Page generated in 0.02629 seconds with 8 queries