View Single Post
Old July 28, 2007, 08:53 PM   #39
FirstFreedom

Another update

Got the X-Cel 12.5mm eyepiece today. I cannot tell much difference/improvement over the 18mm in the C130, and the focal depth is getting really small - only a tiny point along the focus is the subject actually in focus with the 12.5mm. Still, very clear & bright even at dusk. But I think that the 18mm hits the sweet spot if you will, for the C130. Nevertheless, I'm going to dedicate the 12.5mm to the C130 and the 18mm to the C90, for the most part (in addition to them each having the original 32mm piece). But I can always mix n' match later as desired, of course. But if I store the extra pieces in their respective carrying cases (assuming they will even fit in there), then I'll end up having with near-instantaneous switches depending on unit:

C90: 38x @ 2.4mm exit pupil (32), OR 67x @ 1.34mm exit pupil (18) (range spotting to 300 yards).

C130: 63x @ 2.06mm exit pupil (32), OR 160x @ 0.81mm exit pupil (12.5) (range spotting to 600 yards, and stargazing).

Also, this is what I wrote in Black Bear's concurrent "Binoculars" thread, in a bit of an off-topic ramble for that thread - but we were going back & forth about binos & spotters.....

Quote:
But to back up a sec & summarize the Celestron Mat-Casses, the C90 has several small advantages over the C130, which add up to a better product for the money:

-Front cover is tethered.
-(important) Flip mirror is NOT spring-loaded as it is on the C130, so that when you flip it to use the 90 degree light path, it stays flipped; whereas, on the C130, to use the 90 degree path, you have to manually hold the mirror flip switch the entire time you are looking through it, which makes no sense, because your hand touching the unit could easily upset your picture when used on high power for stargazing at 90 degrees.
-Rubber armored
-Finder scope is RACI, not upside-down-n-backwards
-Finder scope is small enough to double as a pocket monocular

Of course, there is also a C65 "Mini-Mak", but I know very little about it, other than at $50-$60, it's likely an extremely good value as well:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...ing-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...ing-scope.html

The C65 Mini-Mak would be a good choice if you wanted to pack into the high country a spotting scope, or just range use on a real budget.
For $49 & free shipping, that C65 with tripod is not a half bad l'il plan for the very tight budget...

Page generated in 0.03708 seconds with 8 queries