View Single Post
Old November 25, 2002, 12:37 PM   #21
gumshoe4

Hey Jimmy...it happens. It seems crazy to you, because you're a gun buff. You like guns and are interested in them. The thought of someone not being as interested in guns or perhaps not having a good understanding of how they work seems unbelievable to you, because you are interested and so is every other gun buff friend you have. In some respects, I feel the same way, because I'm interested in firearms, too.

The fact is, though, that most cops are not gun buffs. Sorry, but that's the truth. Moreover, when you've spent your entire career handling a certain type of gun (revolver) in a certain way, and you're not particularly interested in guns in the first place, NDs.

Listen carefully, here...I'm not making excuses for the officer and I can tell you that he was required to attend remedial training and write lots of paper about his ND. I am, however, saying that this incident shows that gun safety is in the mind, not in the external safety lever (or lack thereof). I'm also saying that there ought to a way to accommodate this guy's revolver training and experience mindset. Why should this guy be forced to carry an automatic when he's been successful with the revolver to date? It actually makes much more sense to let him carry what he's comfortable with (within reason).

The only other thing to add is to remind you that "pride goeth before a fall". If you are telling me you've never dropped a gun, mishandled a gun or otherwise done something foolish with a gun, sorry-I don't believe you. We who handle guns ALL have, on occasion, made a mistake or two with firearms. Fortunately, because of our training or just because of pure dumb luck, nothing happened. We shook our heads and used it for a learning experience and a reminder not to get too cocky. You want to call this guy an idiot-fine. Hope you're perfect.

Bob

Page generated in 0.02815 seconds with 8 queries