View Single Post
Old January 26, 2001, 02:20 PM   #2
KilgorII

When I first read this I was suspicious that this was just some false propaganda put out by an antihunting group. However, I have verified the facts presented above. I found an article using Lexis-Nexis from the American Academy of Pediatrics in their publication Pediatrics 2000; vol. 106: pgs. 1160-1165, November, 2000

It is something to be aware of, however I will include a quote from the article.

Quote:
The first recognized TSE, scrapie, was reported by sheepherders more than 200 years ago. During the 20th century, transmission of scrapie from an affected sheep to healthy sheep and goats was reported, and subsequently, experimental transmission to mice and hamsters (animal models of prion disease) was accomplished. More recently, naturally occurring TSEs have been documented in the United States among ranch mink (transmissible mink encephalopathy [TME; last reported in 1985]) and among deer and elk (chronic wasting disease) mainly in Colorado and Wyoming. A link between scrapie, TME, or chronic wasting disease and human disease has not been established.
I would suggest that we all carry latex gloves to use when we process and that we cook our meat all the way through if you live in or around Colorado and Wyoming. A prion is just a protein with the ability to make the host replicate it. If cooked it will denature and lose any pathogenicity

I'm going to include the link to the article here if anyone wishes to read it.

http://web.lexis-nexis.com/universe/...73fcc05f190671

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 8 queries