Thread: Rifle silencers
View Single Post
Old February 5, 2005, 02:22 PM   #21
UltimaThule

Quote:
in France (of all places!)
Not really. The French are actually as far as I understand quite serious about their personal liberty. Not everything French is bad, you know, just because their politicians sometimes disagree with your politicians. Heck, judging by your language, you guys wouldn't even know how to kiss if the French hadn't taught you...

Some of you may find it more surprising that the British government encourages use of suppressors for the same reasons. British gun laws are more restrictive than in France or just about any other civilized country I can think of. Suppressors are subject to licencing and registration, but I did read a departemental paper of some sort where British hunters and farmers were encouraged to use suppressors to cut down on "noise polution".

Of course, laws are not meant to be sensible or logical, regardless of country. In Finland suppressors are legal and unrestricted, but as I understand it not legal for hunting. In Sweden they are legal for hunting, but almost impossible to get due to all the hoops one has to jump through to get a licence. In Norway, and I think France and Switzerland(?), suppressors are sold over the counter and legal for hunting.

Suppressors for rifle calibers are increasingly popular, not just for the noise reduction but also because they eliminate muzzle blast and reduce felt recoil more effectively than a muzzle brake.

Page generated in 0.02862 seconds with 8 queries