View Single Post
Old December 1, 2002, 10:58 AM   #14
Chris W

Well, I oughta be about the perfect specifmen of a Net-generated shooter, given my total lack of real world experience. I probably will blow the experimental protocol at some point, however. The guy who runs the indoor range I shoot at shoots police competitions with shotgun and apparently does well, so I'll probably sign up for a session with him to get some basic technique; but you can bet I'll be reading the archives in the meantime, and may well pop up with questions on matters I can't resove there.

Right away, you've answered one question, about what constitutes a 'light load' with which to begin. I've got no illusions about being a he-man shooter out of the gate, but I know you can work up to whatever's necessary. To wit: at the beginning, I was a bit shocked by .357s in a full size L-frame revolver; now I can find a certain (perhaps twisted) pleasure in them from a 12 oz. Scandium snub. The trick is just patience and proficiency, and I know it'll take a little time with a shotgun as with anything.

I'll do some reading on these 'form and fit' matters; and I'm glad to hear, actually, that skeet and five-stand will fit the gun--I only thought trap might be more appropriate because it's the only clay sport I've actually seen anyone use a pump-gun on. I'd love to start with skeet and move on to the variety of sporting clays, in good time.

If one can read, and has the patience to apply what they read, there's little, I think, they couldn't learn here. I'm a lifelong reader, and like to learn through the printed word, so perhaps this medium fits me better than some; but it's a mine of tremendous potential for anyone who want to know. Thanks again--

Chris

P.S.--the final straw, Dave, was when you used "yclept" in a post about Frankenstein. Pump-guns AND Chaucer, I thought? Resistance is clearly futile!

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries