View Single Post
Old March 9, 2007, 03:58 AM   #7
Cerbera

My experience

I have bought the Borealis by Black Bear and I must say this is a VERY powerful flashlight. The only other handheld light that I have operated that even came close to this was the Streamlight UltraStinger. The UltraStinger was around 290 lumens and I was impressed by that light, but the Borealis is in a league of its own.

My brother has a regular Maglite 3D and the images below will show how it compares to the Borealis.

That was a little size comparison. The Borealis is based on the Mag 3D. If you ever damage the exterior of the flashlight, you can always change the body with another Maglite. Black Bear could’ve used a MagCharger host but it is a much more expensive flashlight to use as a host. Why pay $80 when you can pay $20 for a replacement body?

Also you can see that I bought the optional stainless steel Crenellated bezel and quick swivel detach end. The bezel really adds a unique look to it, but it is also an effective weapon when needed. The tip of the bezel contains many sharp corners and edges. I also ordered the quick detachable swivel, but I replace it with the hand strap of my camera. It is my personal preference and is the main reason why I paid extra for the options. Again, it adds a unique look to it.

On the left shows the regular Mag 3D and the right is the Borealis. As you can see, there is a HUGE difference. The Borealis is something you have to see in person. My camera dims a bit when trying to focus on the beam, but on the bottom of that, I showed how powerful it really is that it can literally light up your room. The Mag can’t do that.

More examples on how powerful the light can be. The top photographs are in pitch black (duh) and the bottom are the Borealis blasting light into that scene. The left column is an outdoor picture. I presume that tree outside my house is 7-9 stories high. You can also see that the light can light up the gutters on the top right of the image. That is quite impressive! The right column is me at the bottom of my 25-step stairs. As you can see, it can illuminate the whole room and the ceiling is 2 stories high.

Here is a park photograph. Again, you have to be there in person. My camera could not really capture the intensity of the Borealis. My friend stood at the end of this basketball court about 30 yards away. It can hit the pole, but you can see that the tree (about 50-55 yards away) can be illuminated as well as the building behind that (about 65 yards away)!

Even thought this is a great product, Juan (Black Bear) is a great person to work with. I have sent him MANY e-mails since I bought my light from him. Most of the e-mails were questions or concerns that I have and Juan has replied to every one of them with great detail and attention. I am very proud to have bought the Borealis.

Where else can you find a 1050 lumen flashlight with 55 minutes of run time (with Rolls Royce battery holder) at the price of 260 dollars? That is great bang for the buck.

Please consider Black Bear’s products!! You won’t regret it!

Page generated in 0.03155 seconds with 8 queries