View Single Post
Old November 29, 2005, 07:47 AM   #1
MasterPieceArms.com

Disabling Stupid Safeties

I disable safeties like it's a bodily function, and I've done it on quite a few different guns, so I thought it was time to share the info (and brag about my perverted pastime).

First, I ought to make it clear why I do this. You the shooter are the safety, no ifs ands or buts about it. I believe certain safeties have caused people to get lazy and careless. Second, I can't stand my property telling me what to do.

1. My most hated "safety" is the magazine disconnect abomination, which is partially the reason some people now assume a gun is unloaded if the mag is out (obviously INEXCUSABLE). If you have a Hi Point, just remove the grip panel (I can't remember which side now) and the offending part actually just falls out. Replace grip, problem solved.

If you have a Bersa thunder .380, there is a small chrome spring that can be easily removed with a small flathead screwdriver, once the grip panel is removed of course. It's the side of the grip with the "button" at the entrance to the mag well that gets pushed by the exposed catch on the magazine.

2. OK, I guess I hate this "safety" just as much: the spring tensioned grip "safety." I've heard people in the gun community defend it, but I see no reason for it's existence. On my Vector Arms UZI as well as my chinese UZI copies, the spring pops out easily with my trusty small flathead screwdriver. THE ISSUE IS NOT that I'm worried about not having a strong enough grip to actuate it, it's about that it A. feels annoying, and B. it's unnecessary.

I'm going to get royally looked at as a heretic for this one but here goes. To disable the grip "safety" on a 1911 (yea, it flops around, but only when you're NOT holding the gun to fire it), just push out the post at the bottom rear of the grip to cause the backstrap piece to come down. Pull it out and take the "three fingered" metal piece that creates the spring tension for the hammer as well as the "safety." Take note of which one gives spring tension to the grip safety and give it a slight push/bend in the opposite direction, just enough to make it ineffectual. I found that this piece actually goes back together much EASIER once this is done. When I did this to my Springfield compact 1911, I almost gave up trying to figure out how to disable the safety and went to put it back together. It's such a pain in the ass to reassemble, I bent the proper "finger" out of sheer frustration/anger and voila, it went back together much easier AND the "safety" was disabled .

Page generated in 0.02212 seconds with 8 queries