View Single Post
Old February 9, 2000, 11:38 AM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Below is hypothetical; however, they are statements or “condensed paraphrases” of some things I have heard people say about CCW permits.

1.) I have heard it said that if you carry a handgun concealed that you had better have a CCW permit.

2.) I have also heard from folks (folks who have no criminal record and are knowledgeable and proficient with arms) say that in most states it is no great advantage to have the CCWP.

Some reasons stated for the latter include:

- “I already have a permit … it’s call the 2nd amendment …”

- “CCWP are enablers for the gun grabbers.”

- “I never do anything wrong and the only way someone will know I am carrying is if I am attacked and defend myself.”

- ”I am pro Law enforcement but more pro- constitutional freedom … Non compliance with bad laws is a duty of the citizens of a free government.”

I suppose my question is; by becoming CCW permit holders do we help or hinder the cause of restoring the freedoms that the Constitution states that we should have?

BY having a permit do we in some way acknowledge the legitimacy of some level of citizen restriction with regard to keeping and bearing of arms?

Or; by not complying do we become irrational radicals and negate the trust required by the rest of society to enjoy such a freedom?

Ramble mode off … just was thinking out loud.

------------------
“We are the pilgrims masters; we shall go, always, a little farther. “

Page generated in 0.03274 seconds with 8 queries